RECYCLE MODE REVERSED?

Finally with some testing, and some pieces. A little Reverse Engineering. Recycle mode reversed on 3 speakers thus far.

Play 5’s, and Play 1’s.

It was easier then I thought.

But you will have to dismantle your speaker and do something pretty simple..

Like spend $10 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

okay how did you do it? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

How did you do it with Play:1s which never were part of the recycle mode program?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Something fishy here. OP’s profile says they have Gen 2 Play:5s which were never a part of the original recycle program anyway.

Yea I agree… I’ve been doing some work on Play5 gen 1’s… one’s that don’t power up to one’s in recycle mode. 

There are 3 modules in a play 5. ….

Do you have a play 5 in recycle mode you want to get rid of ??? I’ll work with you to get it

Something fishy here. OP’s profile says they have Gen 2 Play:5s which were never a part of the original recycle program anyway.

Sorry meant S5 Zoneplayer. 

OK. I finished the S5, and it worked too. So a couple Play1’s, and a S5 too. Now before anything, I have more research to check into. As I mixed up a component on one. So waiting for that part to arrive. then I will mention how I did it. Don’t want to make an error on this.

OK. I finished the S5, and it worked too. So a couple Play1’s, and a S5 too. Now before anything, I have more research to check into. As I mixed up a component on one. So waiting for that part to arrive. then I will mention how I did it. Don’t want to make an error on this.

You are full of it.  There's no way you could've reversed recycle mode on a Play:1 because the  Play:1 was never even eligible for recycling.  So I don't know what nonsense you are up to, but it stops here and now.

Yea I agree… I’ve been doing some work on Play5 gen 1’s… one’s that don’t power up to one’s in recycle mode. 

There are 3 modules in a play 5. ….

Do you have a play 5 in recycle mode you want to get rid of ??? I’ll work with you to get it

OK.

Help in cracking these? Sure! My research is slightly off. My luck with 3 were with all new MU-MIMO cards. These are the PLAY5’s. And the small black ones. Model numbers I’m not good at with SONOS, as its a hobby, not my main work like on the Synology side of work. Synology cracking is on my primary list to do to, as when I can,,, trying to get back at SONOS.. So given these boxes of SONOS units in recycle mode, had me experimenting on them. Now the error I ran into was due to the update. Seems Sonos hard codes the serial into rom with the update after recycle mode is initiated. The MU-MINO card no longer applies for many of these. But not all. Why the older rev’s worked. So now to get into the firmware and fix this by a code of the firmware update. Since each update has its own code to let Sonos know what current revision is running on the system now. And update, making sure the serial is included in it this time. Now you know the old backdoor into Sonos was easy.

Example: http://192.168.x.x:1400/status Depending on the IP your Sonos is on in the network.

Well it also lets you enter into the Linux OS of Sonos with a few extra commands in Putty, and enter in root mode. In root mode, is where you can make the changes, and save them, and reboot. I just didn't have time yet to back at it. Now. Once I hex edit out the code for the update, I will have changed the level of the update. It is either that,, or change the status. But I noticed the unit actually communicates back to Sonos about its serial number. As you actually see it scroll by in the OS. Connecting to a IP server. So they must have a list of serials in the blacklist to block(recycle). I will try and put a bogus serial, and see if that works. If it doesn’t then they have a white list. And for that I will need to copy another serial from a working unit. Just can’t have them on at the same time, on the same network when registering it. Or the app will get confused as to who is what. So that’s it so far. just been so busy with my main work, I need to get back at this one. Sorry for the huge delays. I’m still trying more. Enjoy!--

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If Sonos really has a blacklist for serial numbers, bricking would be reversible at the Sonos end - which they have stated is not possible. That would be disappointing.

So when you said “OK. I finished the S5, and it worked too.”, you were full of it (just as I said)?  And "the small black ones" are either Play:1s or Ones, neither of which were ever recycled.  

Now go away, troll.