Answered

Record Player Turmoil!

• 25 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey all.

To say that trying to figure out how to play my records after switching to Sonos has been a nightmare would be an understatement. I can’t seem to figure this damned thing out.

I moved to a new condo and downsized and had to kill my onkyo amp and enormous speakers. It was just too cluttered. So I got the Arc, Sub and a couple of Ones for the rear. Great - works perfectly with my Samsung Frame as a surround system!

I also got the recommended Sonos Victrola. Went though three of them - the sound was just awful. Massive interference and crackling. Must be something to do with the condo as nothing worked. So that went back.

My latest effort is failing. I got an Audio Technica LP120. It has both Bluetooth and USB output. First of all I hoped I might be able to just Bluetooth connect to something… Like my mac or maybe the sonos itself. No luck there.

Next I thought well how about connect to my Mac with an USB cable and then output the audio from my mac to Sonos. Well I can finally hear my records on my Mac speakers using Audacity - but I can’t get the damned thing to output that sound to my Sonos.

Any ideas from here about what I might be able to use to get connectivity here?

icon

Best answer by Bobbedford173 25 March 2023, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You don’t have a Sonos speaker that either acts as a BlueTooth speaker, or has an analog line in with your current setup.

You could go with just a Roam, use BlueTooth to connect to that, and “group” that room with your Arc’s room. Or you could add a Sonos Five, or a Sonos Port, and wire your RCA analog output to that, and again, “group” that device with the room your Arc is in. 

There are no Sonos devices that accept a USB output. Just analog, or BlueTooth. 

Yours is the first report about the Victrola that I’ve seen. I do wonder if it’s just wifi interference or an actual problem with the product. 

You don’t have a Sonos speaker that either acts as a BlueTooth speaker, or has an analog line in with your current setup.

You could go with just a Roam, use BlueTooth to connect to that, and “group” that room with your Arc’s room. Or you could add a Sonos Five, or a Sonos Port, and wire your RCA analog output to that, and again, “group” that device with the room your Arc is in. 

There are no Sonos devices that accept a USB output. Just analog, or BlueTooth. 

Yours is the first report about the Victrola that I’ve seen. I do wonder if it’s just wifi interference or an actual problem with the product. 

Thanks Bruce. I tried three separate devices and all had the same issue unfortunately. Noted on the above.

Userlevel 7

@Bobbedford173 Get a Sonos Port and connect the turntable to the Port’s RCA inputs. A Bluetooth connection isn’t very reliable and won’t sound very good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When I google “sonos turntable”, one of the first results I get is this: https://blog.sonos.com/en-us/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

A good explanation of what to do in your case.

Well I found a non $400 solution…

This works perfectly - now I just connect to my iPad via USB and then AirPlay to Sonos.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/