Answered

Precise Location / UWB Chip in Sonos One?

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi there —

Does the precise location of the Sonos unit get saved after set-up and during use of my speaker? Like exactly where it sits in my room relative to my phone that’s controlling it? If so, is this able to be exposed as a Sonos Developer who is prototyping an app? 

My phone is UWB enabled. I’m just curious if the location of the speaker is able to be referenced for advanced development usecases. 

Thanks everyone!

kam 

icon

Best answer by James L. 1 September 2021, 09:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Kambot9000,

Thanks for reaching out!

Sonos does not use UWB to detect the precise location of your products nor do we know the exact positioning of them within your premises. The location permission is required to detect your nearby products during setup (through network scanning) and your mobile device’s WiFi network information. The methods of detecting products are reliant on your network and the products replying to messages being sent back from the Sonos devices to the phone via your network, so the app has no idea where your speakers are physically, only that they’re within range of your WiFi network. Apple has bundled these options together into the “Location” permission toggle to simplify the amount of permissions you’d be granting apps. 

I hope that clears things up :slight_smile:

Thank you, @James L. Incredibly helpful! I assume this routine was executed during the following set up phase:

Am I able to expose this location / set-up routine by leveraging the control API for my own developer interests? 

Badge +17

I’m glad it was useful :slight_smile:

The screenshot you’ve posted there is a player advertising itself using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for setup, which also explains the need to allow the Sonos app access to Bluetooth.

I’m afraid I’m not a developer, nor do I know much about what’s available to use in our public API, so I suggest heading to our Developer page and looking through the documentation there. There are also a few users on this community who have built their own controller apps for various platforms and you’ll likely see them around on similar discussion topics :slight_smile:

Roger that, @James L. 

thanks for these prompt replies. Helping me a lot!

kam