• 3 replies

My Equipment: 

Sonos Beam
Sonos Port
Turntable (w/ amp)
Yamaha Receiver
w/ Bose bookshelf speakers (pair)

My Setup:

I have my TV connected to a Sonos Beam on one side of the room, and on the opposite side of the room, behind the couch/TV against the wall, I have a turntable connected to a receiver with two bookshelf speakers.  I use that setup to listen to my vinyl records and I use my Beam to watch TV and stream music digitally.

My Goal: 

I bought the Sonos Port with the understanding that it would allow me to do both by combining the two on the Sonos network. Ideally, I’d like to connect the Port to the receiver/turntable so that I can listen to vinyl AND digital audio through the receiver’s bookshelf speakers AND Beam. Given that, I was under the impression that I would then be able to apply the same concept to TV audio, where the bookshelf speakers act like two surround sound speakers…. Is that not the case??? If so, what setup would I need to achieve this? 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 December 2022, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can use the Port to send the turntable music to the Beam.  You cannot use the Port to make the receiver and speakers into surrounds.  Quite simply, the Port is not capable of being configured as surrounds.  In order to add surrounds, you would need two Sonos speakers of the same model, or replace the receiver with a Sonos Amp. 

Note: When used as surrounds, the Line-In on the Amp would be disabled, negating the ability to connect the turntable.

You can use the Port to send the turntable music to the Beam.  You cannot use the Port to make the receiver and speakers into surrounds.  Quite simply, the Port is not capable of being configured as surrounds.  In order to add surrounds, you would need two Sonos speakers of the same model, or replace the receiver with a Sonos Amp. 

Note: When used as surrounds, the Line-In on the Amp would be disabled, negating the ability to connect the turntable.

Makes sense. Just want to be clear. Even if I bought Sonos amp I wouldn’t be able to do what I originally set out to do as the Line-In on amp would be disabled?

Makes sense. Just want to be clear. Even if I bought Sonos amp I wouldn’t be able to do what I originally set out to do as the Line-In on amp would be disabled?

Correct.