Answered

play:one issues

• 10 September 2018
  • 10 replies

Set up a “sound system” at the office here and in purchased a Sonos Connect and 4 Sonos play:ones
(Note: connecting directly to the router/modem is NOT an option at the office)
Current set up is:
iPad running the Sonos app > to the Sonos connect > transmitting to the 4 Sonos:ones across the office

The usualproblem: 1) occasionally one of the speakers will drop off the WiFi at random 2) any time the app gets updated we’ve got to go around and re-add the speakers and connect to through the Sonos app, as if the updates kick off the speakers.

The current problem: while attempting to re-add the speakers/connect to continue the service nothing adds the speakers will do their usual thing, the green light appears and when the two buttons are held down and the chime is sound, the green light goes to either a solid red/orange or a flashing red/orange led

Help would be very much appreciated - thank you
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 September 2018, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Set up a “sound system” at the office here and in purchased a Sonos Connect and 4 Sonos play:ones
(Note: connecting directly to the router/modem is NOT an option at the office)
Current set up is:
iPad running the Sonos app > to the Sonos connect > transmitting to the 4 Sonos:ones across the office

That's not exactly how Sonos works as the controller app can control any of your 4 Sonos Ones without involvement of the Connect. Is the Connect attached to a separate amp, or to a separate source of audio? I know it's not really your question, if you aren't using the Connect for these purposes, then you might want to see about returning the Connect.

The usualproblem: 1) occasionally one of the speakers will drop off the WiFi at random 2) any time the app gets updated we’ve got to go around and re-add the speakers and connect to through the Sonos app, as if the updates kick off the speakers.

When this happens at random, it's likely due to wireless interference. Next time this happens, I'd submit a diagnostic and post the number to this thread, or call tech support with the number. They can use that information to give recommendations to reduce network interference.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

As far as the upgrades go, that sounds like IP address conflicts. You can resolve that temporarily by unplugging your sonos speakers, then bouncing your router. For a long time fix, reserve IP addresses for the Sonos speakers within your router.
Oh boy.... we’ll fool on me the kid at Best Buy told me this was how the system worked and we’ve been running like this for almost a year so it’s a little late to return the connect — I’ll have our IT guy check into reservation of spots on the router
Are you sure it's a Connect? Perhaps you have a Boost instead. Are you using that device directly wired to the network? If it's a Boost, it's not 100% necessary in all situations, but it does often help.
On the bottom of the says Sonos connect s15 - the kid at Best Buy told me I needed this device to connect to my iPad and to use the Sonos app... stating that without it the music won’t broadcast to the speakers 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Another Best Buy horror story...

You can use Sonos in Standard Mode connecting to your router over your home WiFi or in Boost mode using a Boost device or by connecting any Sonos device to your wired Ethernet, they then communicate on the SonosNet WiFi.

You might need the Connect to send music to an existing sound system or to allow you to send sound from a local (CD changer, tape deck or phonograph) device into the Sonos system.
Update: okay folks... it appears my issue with the speakers dropping and the music dropping is because of the app not my wifi.... the app seems to crash or blacks out and empties the queue but it will occasionally still play music while the queue is empty. And it will automatically turn off random speakers...etc but when you reactive the speaker the app won’t recognize it, etc the issue wis with the app still need help
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Update: okay folks... it appears my issue with the speakers dropping and the music dropping is because of the app not my wifi.... the app seems to crash or blacks out and empties the queue but it will occasionally still play music while the queue is empty. And it will automatically turn off random speakers...etc but when you reactive the speaker the app won’t recognize it, etc the issue wis with the app still need help

Hi there,

Your controller connects to your Sonos system through your wireless network. It sounds to me like there's some wireless issues overall. To be sure, I'd like to see some data from your system. Please submit a diagnostic report from your controller when it is connected to your Sonos system. Reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.

Hi there,

Your controller connects to your Sonos system through your wireless network. It sounds to me like there's some wireless issues overall. To be sure, I'd like to see some data from your system. Please submit a diagnostic report from your controller when it is connected to your Sonos system. Reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.

The WiFi in the rest of the office works fine, cellphones, other wireless devices, etc - diagnosis number 795923502
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

The WiFi in the rest of the office works fine, cellphones, other wireless devices, etc - diagnosis number 795923502

Your Sonos system is set up on a network called "...guest" which is running on the same wireless channel as the main network. As a result, your speakers are losing connection from time to time due to wireless interference. It would be a good idea to switch the Sonos network over to a different wireless channel, 1 or 11 are less crowded in your area.
Would this also remedy the app issues. E.G. music still playing even though it’s been paused or the app being closed or songs playing but out of sync with the que, etc.