Option to disable built-in WiFi, when Sonos is used as a single device.

• 7 September 2012
  • 76 replies

Badge
There are certain users, who don't utilize multi-zone capabilities, since they've picked up just a single Sonos player - be it Connect or Play - for one-room music experience. Naturally, those users don't need to keep the built-in WiFi in always ON state. Please, consider adding an option to disable WiFi, when it is not required. This will reduce power consumption, interference with other wifi sources, and keep the environment clean and free of extra EMR.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

I cant understand why you guys at sonos are so strongly again a small change like this.
For all of you: Just find out the IP of your SONOS device and go to http://IP-ADDRESS:1400/wifictrl?wifi=off

After power off on the wifi is reactivated again.

You can also access a web interface for support reasons.  

http://sonos_IP:1400:1400/support/review
If an Idea's status changes we will reflect it within the original request. There will be no need to open a new Idea.

This would be a HUGE benefit. The SONOS wireless creates HAVOC and I don't know of any Installers who use it as the backbone of a system. Put in an option to kill it!
If an Idea's status changes we will reflect it within the original request. There will be no need to open a new Idea.
I have 8 Connect Amps and 2 mobile units, I've got one unit with wifi enabled and the rest has been disabled.  Since I disabled it one week ago, my network has been stable. 
I found 2 detailed guides that walk you through the whole process: http://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi http://wojo.com/blog/2011/11/20/disabling-wifi-on-sonos-players.html
Marc, I totally agree & I love my Fritzbox for all the same reasons you highlighted.
Has anyone disabled this? Is there a possibility of multiple zones or 5.1 sonos systems going out of sync by doing this?
BUY UK FAKE PASSPORT ( kannymary222@gmail.com ) DRIVING LICENCE FALSE

High Quality data base registered Fake Passports , Id Cards, Drivers
License, visas,school diploma

We are a team of professionals with many years of experience in producing real and
fake passports

and other identity documents, best quality producers of fake documents. With

more than 10 million documents circulating in the world.

We offer only original high qualities of real-false passports, driver

driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas international

and other products for a number of countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium,
Brazil, Norway

Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South
Africa, Spain, United Kingdom.

This list is not complete.

For additional information and place the order just

contact us by email or phone.

(kannymary222@gmail.com)

skype>>>>>>> kannymary1990

tell 5054875487
I just hope Sonos will implement a wifi OFF switch in there app asap!!! This would make it the best product on the market, but without this feature i am not willing to set up my house with this. Especially not bedrooms...!!!
How about this senario: Put this option under the room configuration menu: Disable wireless when the ethernet port has an active connection? That way if I accidentaly activated this checkbox I could always connect to the device wirelessly when no ethernet cable is plugged in.
This is the obvious option to me too. I am building a mutiroom system but the sonos units will sit in a comms room. All those wireless signals overlapping is wreaking havoc on the house Wi-Fi. If the sonos is provided with ethernet surely there should be an option to disable the wireless.
I would like this feature too, all of my Sonos components are hard wired, i live in a built up area and cannot get a decent free wifi channel for wireless and Sonos.  It must be easy for Sonos to do and can be hidden in the advanced settings if required.
I cant understand why you guys at sonos are so strongly again a small change like this.
For all of you: Just find out the IP of your SONOS device and go to http://IP-ADDRESS:1400/wifictrl?wifi=off

After power off on the wifi is reactivated again.

Chris, I have 11 zones and all Sonos devices wired.  I was getting a shit load of flooding on my network until I issued the commands I listed above.  Since then my network has been solid.
google is your friend.....the answer is out there
I hard wire all my SONOS systems (why they promote themselves as wireless is beyond me...) and have one 18 zone system. All systems typically come back to a rack in the Basement and we ALWAYS turn off the SONOS wireless. Had one sh*t storm that brought down my whole network related to the configuration of SONOS and Apple devices on remote nodes of the network.

SONOS sells widgets. They aren't about to change anything for anyone until they make a unilateral change. The "Public" that buys one Play 1 or a couple of Connect Amps will shut a system down and lead to hours and hours of Tech Support time.
I agree with all of the above. Disabling wifi should be possible through the interface for those of us who don't need / want it. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
do a simple google search for disable sonos wifi
I know. That's what I am doing. But this is a tweak, not a usable feature. It should be possible through the controler's interface, without geeky tricks. Actually, if this is possible via customised URLs, it shows it would be a simple option to integrate in the controler's interface... So why not doing it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can't venture to say - probably would cause support headaches.  I can't say what the possible implications are ... they probably know a lot more than we do what it effects.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would probably say the people that purposefully lookup and are knowledgeable enough to figure out how to do it are the only people they would want doing it.
Badge
Thank you for the suggestion. This Idea has been discussed in the past and there currently are no immediate plans to implement this functionality but that is not to say that our plans will not change in the future. As with any Idea that is not currently planned, keep voting for your favorites as consensus is a great indicator for our Product team.
I bought my wife a Connect based on it having a simple setup and interface, I have no issue with my Logitech Squeezebox Touch, and find  that I'm having to do more low level stuff with the Connect than I've ever had to do with my Touch. If a simple tweak can turn off the wifi, why won't you consider updating your app to give a switch that submits that tweak? I could see putting it off if it was a complex change but the underlying structure already gives you the capability so why not provide this straightforward change?
Note that the reduced energy consumption also helps to get closer to EU regulations concerning energy efficiency.
I also would like to see a wifi on/off switch in the App. What would be even better is to be able to configure when the wifi is on and when it is off. For example, it should be off automatically after 11pm until 7am.
Chris,
It appears switching the HiFi is not permanent. My understanding is after each power down it reverts back to WiFi
Thank you for the suggestion. This Idea has been discussed in the past and there currently are no immediate plans to implement this functionality but that is not to say that our plans will not change in the future. As with any Idea that is not currently planned, keep voting for your favorites as consensus is a great indicator for our Product team.
Mike C,
I have one Sonos Play5. I would like to expand on the one devise, but that will not be happening until a user friendly WiFi switch off is available
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do you need to turn on off frequently. You can turn off fairly simple via web browser.
Userlevel 2
I just bought 6 sonos speakers and am really dissapointed they do not have the obvious and easy to implement function to disable wifi. I would love to see the option to simply turn off wifi for a speaker that is connected through wires, but also the possibility to turn off wifi at night. Cause why keep all that radio on each and every night?

I  am convinced this would bring more buyers (lots of people prefer sleeping in an environment with a little radio as possible: they pout their phones on flight mode and turn off their router or the wifi on their router through a schedule).

I am now looking to see if I can simply put clocks on the power outlets that turns them off at night and on in the morning, but if this doesn't work I will return them.  

I hope you'll consider to add this feature!

Thanks.