New ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8)

• 27 November 2023
  • 37 replies

Badge

I am trying to set up a new ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8 2PK). However, Sonos devices will not appear on the network and do not show up on the Sonos App, even though they appear to be available.  I tried the 3 different ideas posted in the forum, but still no luck.  Wanted to see if anyone had new ideas on how to get this to work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m not sure what all that has to do with the OP’s query.

I am not familiar with that. I will have to call ASUS and inquire about it.  Thank you.  

Here you go: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046957/

The point being that setting up a ASUS Mesh is very simple as it’s all pre-programmed steps. The OP obviously made a wrong turn. As long as the SSID isn’t changed Sonos will connect if powered down first. Have changed routers many times with no Sonos issues.

The OP said his system was connected. There was a remaining issue with glitches on GC transfer when playing Spotify.

Badge

This seems pretty straight forward to bind the devices.  However, when I look at clients and click on each one,  I do not see any Sonos Products. What is the best way to identify them?   

This seems pretty straight forward to bind the devices.  However, when I look at clients and click on each one,  I do not see any Sonos Products. What is the best way to identify them?   

Go to Settings > System > About My System, the serial number minus the last digit is the Mac address.

Badge

Interesting enough, the Sonos App does not recognize any of my components again.  We are at square one, starting over. Would I plug a speaker in via Ethernet to get it to work?  After it is working, get it to work, it sounds like I need to bind the devices?

Are you sure you’re on the correct network? Is there a VPN installed on your phone? What phone is it? 

Userlevel 7

Hi

It sounds like your Verizon gear may still be broadcasting a WiFi signal. I suggest you verify it isn’t. Also your  main mesh node should not be in Bridge mode; it should be functioning as a router with satellites.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

DGR1 - I tried disabling smart connect and moving Sonos to the 2.4 ghz network. I had my phone on 2.4, but it did not work. In addition after I disabled it, my smart lights and plugs stopped working too.  I reverted back.  It might have been impacted by the boost on the network?  

Hi OP.

I’m loathe to offer more advice at this stage as you’re clearly having fun & games with both your Sonos speakers and other devices. One ‘challenge’ with more advanced routers/mesh systems is the myriad of options available.

One point to note is that the Asus iOS/Android app is handy for managing the XT8 system, but does sometimes hide options available through the web GUI. For example, when I bind a Sonos device to a specific Asus node, I use the iOS app to do this by going into the details of the specific device and choosing ‘Bind to AP’. Then, I use the web GUI to enable ‘MAC and IP address binding’ from the Network Map page by clicking on the device in the Client status section. If you then click on ‘View List’ below where your clients are numbered, you can see whether IP addresses are static or dynamic (DHCP), and whether they are using 2.4GHz or 5GHz. All useful for problem solving 🤓

When you disable Smart Connect, the router will automatically give the separate 5GHz bands different names, and so any device relying on those bands will need to be reconnected. And some devices only support 2.4GHz. My Ring security cameras are an example of this. Hope that all helps!! 

Badge

I looked up the serial numbers of the Sonos equipment and I cannot find them or the MAC Address that corresponds to the devices on the network.  For example, in the Sonos app (About My System) I find SONOS ONE KITCHEN Serial Number: 78-28-CA-0F-45-16:2. When I follow the instructions in the document provided, AI Mesh, Topology tab, All Client list, I do not see the MAC Address  78-28-CA-0F-45-16 in the Client List, “All List” associated with a device.  

It does not seem possible that the devices are working on the network, but I can not identify them with their MAC Address.  In fact, I searched for the TCP/IP Address in the app in the All List too, but could not find it.  

Any ideas would be welcome.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you have more than one DHCP server running?

Here is a screenshot from my router and there is no problem seeing the IPs and MACs.

Maybe try the “arp -a” command from your shell to see all active network devices?

I looked up the serial numbers of the Sonos equipment and I cannot find them or the MAC Address that corresponds to the devices on the network.  For example, in the Sonos app (About My System) I find SONOS ONE KITCHEN Serial Number: 78-28-CA-0F-45-16:2. When I follow the instructions in the document provided, AI Mesh, Topology tab, All Client list, I do not see the MAC Address  78-28-CA-0F-45-16 in the Client List, “All List” associated with a device.  

It does not seem possible that the devices are working on the network, but I can not identify them with their MAC Address.  In fact, I searched for the TCP/IP Address in the app in the All List too, but could not find it.  

Any ideas would be welcome.  

Sometimes devices don’t show initially. Go to the main Network Map tab and get it to display the full device list first.

Badge

I went to the “Network Map” Tab and I can see 36 devices, but none of the sonos equipment appears.