Question

Music Library on external HD connected via USB

• 2 January 2014
  • 21 replies

Hi will music stored on an external hard drive and connected into my router via a USB be picked up by the sonos app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Badge +18
Yes, you can do this assuming the router supports SMB / CIFS file sharing from the USB port (most do).  You'll need to know two things, the router's local name (netbios name) and the shared folder path.  If you're not sure of where to find this information, consult the router's support documentation.

Setting up the music share with the shared drive on your router is similar to setting it up on the computer.

From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings... shared music folders that are currently available to your Sonos Wireless HiFi System appear.  Click + on a Mac, or Add from a PC. 

To add the location from your router, select On a networked device such as a network attached storage (NAS) drive
  • Type the network path for the music folder \\Name\Sharename, where Name is the network name for your router, and Sharename is the name of the top level shared folder, or click Browse to search for it.
  • If it is not shared anonymously, enter the user name and password of a user with permission to access this folder, and click Next.
  • Click OK to confirm.
Thanks for the reply, do I need to re-index my library every time I add new music?
Thanks for the reply, do i need to re-index my music library every time I add music to the HD
Badge +18
Yes, you do need to reindex after adding new music although you can also set your share to index automatically at a certain time every day (such as the early hours of the morning, when you won't necessarily be in front of the system) in case you forget.

You'll find this under Music Library settings in the Advanced tab.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Can the router's local name (netbios name) simply be its IP address?  My router says:

Storage Sharing function is based on NetBIOS/SMB protocol which is supported by most Windows operating system and some other operating systems. All active volume(s) will be shared and authentication is not required. You will be able to access the folders with the following methods: 
   For Windows OS:
Open "Run" window in the Start menu and enter \\(IP Address) or \\(IP Address)\(Share Name) e.g. \\192.168.1.1 or \\192.168.1.1\photo;
    For Mac OS:Open "Connect to Server" window in the Go menu and enter smb://(IP Address) or smb://(IP Address)/(Share Name) e.g. smb://192.168.1.1 or smb://192.168.1.1/photo.
Can the router's local name (netbios name) simply be its IP address?  My router says:

Storage Sharing function is based on NetBIOS/SMB protocol which is supported by most Windows operating system and some other operating systems. All active volume(s) will be shared and authentication is not required. You will be able to access the folders with the following methods: 
   For Windows OS:
Open "Run" window in the Start menu and enter \\(IP Address) or \\(IP Address)\(Share Name) e.g. \\192.168.1.1 or \\192.168.1.1\photo;
    For Mac OS:Open "Connect to Server" window in the Go menu and enter smb://(IP Address) or smb://(IP Address)/(Share Name) e.g. smb://192.168.1.1 or smb://192.168.1.1/photo.

This is what my router says too! Advice much appreciated!
what is the answer to these two?????????????????
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The answer is "yes", the router's local name can simply be its IP address.
I am trying to setup a USB with music on it plugged into the ASUS RT-AC87U.
I want to add the files on the USB as a music folder on my SONOS.
The SONOS cant connect to it. I get
Reason The computer RT-ac87u-57f8 refused to let Sonon connect to it.
I have Allow guest login - ON.
Other PCs on my network can play the music from the USB connected to the ASUS RT-AC87U, without a username and password.
I am trying to setup a USB with music on it plugged into the ASUS RT-AC87U.
I want to add the files on the USB as a music folder on my SONOS.
The SONOS cant connect to it. I get
Reason The computer RT-ac87u-57f8 refused to let Sonon connect to it.

Sometimes Sonos can object if the host name contains anything other that alphanumeric characters or "_" (underscore). Your name contains dashes.

Try specifying the network location in Sonos Library Setup using the IP address, e.g. //192.168.1.1/share_name (substitute as appropriate).
Fixed .
Set Media Server Name to RTAC87U and the Device name to RTAC87Uusb.
SONOS connected no problem.
Thankyou Ratty
Hi, Is it possible to save a Sonos playlist to a USB drive?
Hi, Is it possible to save a Sonos playlist to a USB drive?
There's no facility to export Sonos playlists.
Badge
Although I'm not a software person, it seems that Sonos could make this a lot easier to facilitate. Couldn't the app just ask, "locate the file that your music is in, point to it and click? The software could then figure out the "path"? Or do a drag and drop?
Badge +1
Ok - so if I can add a USB to my router & access files that way - can I also access the music library on my Mac ( eg routerip/macname/filepath/user/music/iTunes/iTunes Music )

if this is possible it could be a work around for Sonos removing the "on this iPhone" feature by going directly to your iTunes library via your phone
Yes it would, but that would mean leaving the Mac on to stream music from it to Sonos, commanded to do so via the Sonos app on the phone. But all those complaining about the impending loss of the feature don't want to leave it on.
Badge +1
yes but you could just fire the mac up when you want to listen to music - Is that the way it would work

ie fire up the mac - open the app - select the mac as the source - away you go

I see this as working better than the phone as I'd have access to my whole iTunes library rather than just what I have transferred to my phone
Badge +1
a little more help if possible

I have the address of my iTunes library

\\192.168.0.17/iMac/Macintosh HD⁩/Users/⁨user⁩/Music⁩/⁨iTunes⁩/iTunes Music

Sonos app cannot find it - the error says "192.168.0.17 cannot be found"- is the path formatted correctly?
Badge +1
sorry !! - i noticed there was a space between the first 2 slashes & the IP - now it's saying "refused to let the Sonos player connect to it"
You probably have to tinker with your firewall settings to allow the access.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Although I'm not a software person, it seems that Sonos could make this a lot easier to facilitate. Couldn't the app just ask, "locate the file that your music is in, point to it and click? The software could then figure out the "path"? Or do a drag and drop?

No. The PC/Mac doesn't play your files, your speaker plays them. Your speakers have no idea about your PC's C:\ drive, for example (or the Mac equivalent), it needs to get to those files over the network, via a file share. it also needs to do this securely, so that your files are not simply exposed to everything on your network.