Skip to main content

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time. I am in a new home now with a completely new network of course. I am fine starting over so there is no concern about a quick easy way forward.

I would ideally like to have the old system forgotten and create a new system altogether. 

I have an Arc, 2 Subs, 4 Fives and a pair of Moves.

How do I even begin and what is the most logical way to go about this? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment.

I really appreciate the community as it has always been so helpful. Thank you again. 

TBH I would set up your wifi with the same access point name and password as what you had at your old place. Turn all your speakers on and they should connect.

I’m suggesting you don’t change your network cause the app is still super buggy. But if you need to change the network here’s a link on how you doit. Hopefully it works for you 😀

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Easiest way is to configure your router and wifi to match that of your previous home. 

What do you want to reconfigure?

Is it that simple? In terms of making the Network name and password the same? Totally different ISP providers. Not sure if that matters.

Is the new app that flawed? I get that features are totally messed up, but did they not manage to at least get the network features adequate?

I'm not sure that I can do the name harmonization correct. What a shame.

Is it that simple? In terms of making the Network name and password the same? Totally different ISP providers. Not sure if that matters.

Is the new app that flawed? I get that features are totally messed up, but did they not manage to at least get the network features adequate?

I'm not sure that I can do the name harmonization correct. What a shame.

Yes it is that simple. Same name and password and your speakers won’t care.  

IMO it’s still best to avoid any config changes because you might run into an error. The app is still buggy AF IME.  That said it might go just fine cause this app is f’d. 

Thanks. Absolutely stunning that a company like Sonos, with all of their resources and experience would release such a flawed application. Hard to believe.

I'll try to remember the credentials. Thanks again.

It’s easy to keep your same network SSID and Password if you own your own router or Mesh setup. If your equipment is provided by your ISP unless they allow access to replicate your SSID/Password on their equipment you may have to get their involvement. I have Comcast that provides a combo router/modem (AIO). I had to get Comcast to place their router in Bridge mode as there is no user access to turn the WiFi portion off.

That was my concern, that I wouldn't have any access to change the SSID. I am with Bell Canada so not sure they'll be flexible at all. I'll ask them. Thanks everyone.

The purpose of SSID and password is to prevent unauthorized access to your network. When a WiFi system is changed the new unit must duplicate the former SSID and password or each network client must be updated to use the new SSID and password. A universal, transparent, automated “hi, I see that you changed the SSID or password and I need access. What is the new SSID and password? Thanks” fix-up would instantly open the network to any mischievous kid or drive by hacker.

Updating a SONOS system’s WiFi credentials is more complicated than a simple phone/pad/computer update because there are multiple SONOS units using the former SSID and password. The controlling phone/pad/computer will have been updated, but it cannot yet use the current WiFi to communicate with the SONOS WiFi clients still using the former SSID and password. The issue, then, is developing an “easy” method to update the SONOS WiFi credentials without creating a huge network security hole.

The easiest solution is to add the new SSID and password to the SONOS system before shutting down the old SSID and password. Unfortunately, few users are aware of this option until it is too late.

@buzz

Your suggestion makes perfect sense 👍. However, in the case of @MG1214 they didn’t have the new SSID until after the move; assuming I'm understanding their post correctly. 

One more point...the SSID can be changed (if that is what is desired) without changing the currently used Password and vise-versa.

There are so many combo options available regarding the subject of SSID’s and Passwords; it can be daunting to the the uninitiated (present company accepted) 😂

Let’s not forget channel, and encryption type…although most don’t understand the difference. 

Yes that is correct. I have already moved. I have not though even powered on the phone that I use for my Sonos system, nor have I even plugged in one of the speakers yet.

So if I'm understanding things, I could fire up my Sonos app, add the new SSID and login password and the system would now function as before, but use the new network?

Yes. 

Many thanks everyone. I'll try renaming the SSID and see if that works. It would be amazing if it works. I'll update the thread. 

Well that sounded too easy to be true. All of my Sonos speakers are plugged in and on (most have a solid green light showing) but when I use the update network feature, the app can't see any of the speakers. Not one.

Have you rebooted the players since restoring the old SSID and password? I don’t recommend Factory Rest at this time.

If you’ve named the network the same SSID and password you shouldn’t need to use the update network. did you use the same as before? 

Hi buzz,

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I'm now in the new location. I fired up the app and it of course realized that the network it expected was unavailable so I see two options, Update Network or Setup New System.

Neither work as despite all of the speakers having been on, the app cannot find any speakers and Bluetooth is enabled.

This will be a nightmare I expect. I'll probably have to reset everything and start with the Arc via RJ45. Even then, who knows right?

Wish me luck. I'll need some.

Log in to your router console/webpage (probably point your browser to 192.168.1.1) and rename the wifi network to the same name as the old one. Change the password to the old password. Reboot your Sonos devices as suggested by Buzz. It should work. 

I can't get into renaming the SSID. I'm not sure of how to access the web interface to do that and I dread being on hold with tech support to obtain the loopback and default credentials.

I'll call Bell I guess. How can I see the SSID that Sonos had stored? I'm not at the old address. As well is it the 2.4Ghz that the app needs? Maybe my router is only showing the 5. 

Don’t setup a new system. Don’t Factory Reset yet.

I can't get into renaming the SSID. I'm not sure of how to access the web interface to do that and I dread being on hold with tech support to obtain the loopback and default credentials.

Try this 

https://support.bell.ca/internet/connection-help/connection-hub.how_to_access_the_connection_hub_settings

and https://support.bell.ca/internet/connection-help/how_to_manage_your_wi_fi_password

If you wire the ARC to your network you should be able to update the network. SUB should pick this up. MOVE will be an issue since it cannot be wired. We’ll deal with MOVE later.

Well that sounded too easy to be true. All of my Sonos speakers are plugged in and on (most have a solid green light showing) but when I use the update network feature, the app can't see any of the speakers. Not one.

If you first renamed your network to be the same as your last one, with the same password etc, it would just work: the speakers would power on, recognise the network and “not know” they were in a different physical location. You must have set the wifi to be different to the old one. 

@MG1214 

Solid green light means the speakers/components were just muted. You should be able to change the SSID and Password with the help of your ISP. Your speakers will then connect assuming you haven’t factory reset them.