Answered

Move Sonos One between Work and Home (different WIFI networks)

• 5 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I got a new Sonos One speaker, set it up at home over the holidays.  Added to my current Sonos system and WIFI network, Alexa and Amazon Music all worked great.

Now, tried to bring the Sonos One to Work.  Can’t seem to get it loaded onto my work WIFI.  Are there any easy steps to reconfigure on the same Sonos account for two locations?

What happens when I want to move the speaker back home?  Can you have Sonos One setup so it can be moved from Work to Home and recognize both networks or can it only deal with one network?

Any help or suggested procedures or YouTube videos would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 January 2021, 21:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos One isn’t designed to be moved to different locations like this  You can do it, but with some restrictions.  The easiest way would be to plan on direct wiring the speaker in one of the locations (probably work) so you do not have to provide WiFi credentials each time it is moved.  

The other issue is the your work network is likely not the same as your typical home network, and thus you would need to take additional steps to add it to the network.  Without knowing your office setup, I can’t comment on that.

As a side note, the Move would have been a much better product for this scenario.  Besides having a battery, it also can remember WiFi settings for up to 15 locations and connect by simple bluetooth if you wish.  And can tune itself automatically.

Most Sonos players can only recognize/hold in memory a single WiFi SSID and password at a time, with the singular exception of the Sonos Move (I think, I don’t own one, so that’s based on what I’ve read, not personal experience. 

What I’d recommend, which would probably be easier, is that in one location, you use a ‘wired’ mode, and the other use the WiFi signal. That way, the Sonos speaker will ‘find’ the correct signal to attach to, without having to hold separate SSID’s. 

But there’s more around that too. You could easily, for instance, set up your home WiFi to match the SSID and password of the work location, and the Sonos wouldn’t know the difference. Or, for that matter, change the work SSID and password to match your home, something probably harder ;)

If, and I suspect it may be, it is hard for you to wire the speaker with an Ethernet cable at home, you could easily purchase a BOOST to connect to your home router, which would then create the SonosNet signal for your speaker to connect to. Failing to find the work network, it would ‘fail’ over to the SonosNet network. In my mind, this is the easiest, albeit it not cheapest route to go. And the BOOST is relatively inexpensive. 

There’s more details about the two kinds of setups in the wired and wireless modes FAQ. 

Ok, this is the fourth time today I’ve typed more and slower than Melvimbe ;)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It’s a bit vague but I remember an interesting thing happened to me accidentally when I took a Play:1 on vacation a couple years ago.  I set up a network at the vacation property.  I had my router at the vacation spot connected to my home network over a VPN connection.  If I remember correctly, when I connected my phone to the network, the sonos app asked me which network I was connecting to.  Only saw it once, and I honestly don’t remember many details about the Sonos app or my network connection.

In any event… I thought that the Sonos devices can remember multiple BSSIDs.  Go into Settings / System / Network.. and select “Network Setup”.  Add the new credentials (for your office wifi) there.

Another option is to use the same SSID and password at home and office.  Not practical, unless you control both, but that should work seamlessly.