Mixing STP and BPDU Flooding capable switches - OK or time bomb waiting to happen?

• 6 June 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a Netgear GS724Tv4 STP-capable switch as my root switch at home. I have STP enabled on that switch., Some of my Sonos players are wired to ports on that switch directly. I also have some Netgear GS605 and GS608 switches which have Sonos players wired to them and then one of the ports on each of those switches is wired to the GS724 root switch. I do not believe that the GS605 and GS608 switches support STP but they do seem to support BPDU flooding. I think that this type of setup is OK since the BPDU packets will move around the network and not get blocked at the GS6-series switches, and will wind up at the GS724 root switch and be distributed properly to the Sonos players. In practice I am seeing a very quiet network, with the exception of the LEDs on the GS6-series switches flashing at a very high rate all the time. My network matrix is all grey cells with just a few green squares where I expect them to be to the few players that are on SonosNet (I don't have my house WiFi configured on my Sonos system).

Am I one the right track here or am I just sitting on an STP meltdown time bomb waiting to happen?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge
Update on this: my subsidiary switches (Netgear GS6-series) do BPDU flooding. I have not had any issues with STP storms using the Netgear GS724 root switch and the Netgear GS6-series transparent switches. I am replacing the GS6-series with Zyxel managed switches that do proper STP so that I can monitor my network.