Skip to main content

Mesh Networking: Sonos Speakers/Components Are Not Found In The New App

• 14 July 2024
  • 7 replies

This Mesh Networking information is provided only to (possibly) explain why Sonos products may not be showing in the app and/or they continually appear, dis-appear, and re-appear in a continuous cycle. If you want to discuss missing features in the app please look to other posts with your comments/questions as there are many already dedicated to that subject. Let’s begin...

A Mesh system/network operates as a cohesive unit. The components are called Nodes. For this post we’ll designate them as follows:

• Main Router
  • Satellites (there may be 1, 2, or 3)

All components help extend the WIFI signal across the environment.

The Main Router is the only component that should have DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) capability. DHCP is the process of assigning IP Address to products on a network.

The Satellites on a Mesh (even if they themselves can act as a router) should not have DHCP capability. They should receive their IP Address from the Main Router.

FYI…The Main Router communicates with the Satellites in one of two ways:

• Wireless Backhaul_Using an available 5GHz or 6GHz channel
  • Wired Backhaul_All Nodes are connected via Ethernet cable

When properly configured a Mesh network can work seamlessly across the environment with all devices including Sonos. 

During this time with the new app (or any time for that matter); if instructed to reboot your router (Mesh Network) that entails only unplugging the Main Router. If the Satellites are unplugged as well in most cases the Mesh will be broken. If that occurs the Satellites may revert to independent units and regain DHCP capability.

When Satellites have DHCP capability they will assign IP Addresses to devices that latch on to their signal. Simple WIFI devices such as cell phones and tablets typically will not be drastically affected and function as normal. 

Sonos on the other hand (when a Mesh is broken) will not function properly as speakers may attach themselves to Satellites that aren’t visible on your device. Your device may be connected to another Satellite ( or Main router) thus resulting in Sonos products not being seen in the App. Thus Sonos devices continually appearing, dis-appearing, and re-appearing in a continuous cycle as you move about and your device attaches to different (closest) nodes. 

If you setup your own Mesh Network you may be able to correct the break yourself. If the Mesh was setup by your ISP you may have to contact them to repair the break.

I hope this information helps in some manner during this time of inconsistency with the App.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Great information @AjTrek1 !

My hope is that users read and understand this because this proves that yes, it can be your network that is causing connection issues.

Going forward I would suggest using “reboot your network” instead of just “reboot your router”.

Great information @AjTrek1 !

My hope is that users read and understand this because this proves that yes, it can be your network that is causing connection issues.

Going forward I would suggest using “reboot your network” instead of just “reboot your router”.

@Pools-3015

Point taken...and I agree with tech savvy people as yourself “reboot network” can be used. However in most conversations within the community the operative phrase is “reboot router”.  

Some OP’s with an ISP installed system that consists of a separate router and modem (although a rare configuration) get confused as to which is which; but can usually understand what the router is because it has has multiple ports/connection options for Ethernet cables with blinking LED’s. Believe me I’ve had OP’s come back and ask which is the router vs. the modem. 😂

Of course if it’s a combo (AIO) router modem they just unplug it and as you say “reboot network” is a simple and accurate instruction as well. The OP’s see’s it as the router.

We could just say ‘reboot the device that controls your DHCP allocation’….

The issue I have here, is there are often different types of setup with WiFi mesh Hub systems, which can often be used in “router mode” or “bridged AP mode” to a 3rd-party router, or indeed some may choose a “Double NAT” setup with their mesh system in router mode and a pre-existing (often ISP provided) router, that they want to leave acting as another router in their Home/Office. On occasions, some may ‘mistakenly’ use “Double NAT” too and that may lead to many issues around ‘device discovery’ etc.

Also my 6 WiFi mesh Hubs here always know their role in the local subnet setup and if set a Hub as a ‘Satellite’ it will stay-put as a Satellite Hub. They don’t change their role to become router, unless I want them to do that and so just to be clear not every mesh setup may work in the same way as fescribed earlier. 

I just mention these things though, not to be critical, but to try to cover all bases for any others perhaps reading this thread.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Point taken.

However I have three Asus ZenWifi Pro ET12’s that are stand-along routers in their own respect. When setting up an Asus AI Mesh each router must be reset to (or already be) in factory reset mode. Asus has a built in program that you select to setup a Mesh and then goes out to discover what Asus devices can participate in the Mesh. Upon discovery the program makes all the necessary adjustments to each device. It also ensures that only the Main Router has DHCP capability. I can reboot my network via the main router only with no issues. However, if I unplug a satellite it reboots the settings established in the initial setup regressing that device to router status.

The reason for the regression may because my Mesh is not a preconfigured Mesh setup using devices pre-programmed as Main and satellite nodes 🤔

All the Mesh Hubs here are capable of acting in Router mode, or Bridged AP mode - if they detect no router at all (that means any brand of router) on the subnet, then one mesh Hub only automatically becomes the router (it must be wired to the network, er.. obviously), once that happens the remaining hubs all become assigned as mesh satellites automatically, without any user-intervention, or configuration (whether they are wired, or wireless). So it’s not possible in my case to have two DHCP servers created by the mesh Hubs on the same subnet.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Ha ha… read the next to last sentence in my post above. It will explain what I was saying about a satellite regressing and how that is brought about. Otherwise I believe we are in sync. 😂