I have used Sonos for years, here is my current set of speakers

• Four Sonos Play 1’s - only two recognized by Sonos 2
  • One Sonos 3
  • One Sonos 5 (Gen 1) - Removed from the system
  • One Sonos 5 (Gen 2) - Not recognized by Sonos 2
  • One Sub
  • One Playbar
  • One Sonos Connect - Removed from the system

As the App slowly coached me over to Sonos 2, i was slow to move over and used to old app for some time. At some point I updated my system to Sonos 2 and it advised me at that time that some speakers were not compatible. Namely the Connect and the Sonos 5 (Gen 1). Not all speakers were online at the time i updated. Once done, i am no longer able to run the older application. Would it make sense that the ones not online (had them unplugged for various reasons) are excluded now?

I now have two Play 1’s that are not recognized and the Sonos Play 5 (Gen2) is not recognized either. I have resent the Play 5 and still noting. It should work as defined in this article https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Is there a way to update them or debug this issue?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 May 2022, 01:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What does “ i am no longer able to run the older application“ mean exactly?

Run the S1 app and your Connect and old Play:5 will work with that version. Depending on how you upgraded your newer gear to S2, you may need to factory reset them.

Without more details it is hard to make recommendations for the Play:1s and the newer Play:5. What does “not recognized” mean?

When you (Split) upgrade part of your Sonos system from S1 to S2, both systems will have the exact same Household ID. My personal suggestion would be to consider changing that at some point and separate the two systems fully, by giving one of them a different Household ID.

To do that, would mean creating a brand new system/household with either your S1 or S2 system. It’s a pain to do, but will likely cause you less issues going forward, but the decision is yours to make. In my own use-case I opted to create a new S1 Household and re-added my services, favourites playlists etc. to simply mirror my ‘existing’ S2 setup.

Once you have at least one player setup on the S1 and S2 Apps on the same local network, it’s then easy to add devices to either Household as long as they’re compatible with that system, some folk may even resort to a factory reset to add a device, but before going down that path, just get your S2 Sonos Household ‘up and running’ first of all and get the players you want onto that Household and then tackle the S1 Household separately afterwards. You can even leave your intended S1 players powered off and set aside whilst you first sort all your S2 Household. 

To add any ‘factory reset’ player to your existing S2 Household use the ‘Settings/System/Add Product’ feature in the S2 Sonos App it will update your ‘compatible’ device to S2 during the install process.

Hope that assists to get you started with splitting your Sonos setup into separate S1/S2 Households.

Just to mention briefly that it’s fine to use the same Sonos account for both the S1/S2 Household.. all the available music services will work (or can be added) to each HH in the S1/S2 Sonos Apps, but note the voice assistant services used by Sonos (Google and Alexa) can only use the one Household only at any one time with the Sonos ‘Skill/Action’. In my own case, I use Alexa for my S2 Household and Google for my S1 HH.

Note too, that any new S1 HH (if you choose to go down that suggested route later on) can only be created using a device that is S1 compatible only, such as a Play:5 (gen1) for example.