Answered

Left/right mono line-in to two Play 5 (Gen 2)

• 4 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

If I were to have two separate 3.5mm mono connectors with the left signal to one speaker and another with the right signal to a second speaker and setting this up with uncompressed signal transfer. How would the stereo separation be? Has anyone tried this?

I'm assuming I'd get a 70ms delay but I'm ok with that. What kind of jitter could one expect from a setup like this?

Thanks

Anders
icon

Best answer by ratty 5 November 2018, 08:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can't select both Line-Ins at the same time. They're each stereo, and independently selectable.

If you followed through with your idea you could select the left Line-In -- and get just the left channel. Or the right. Not both.

I infer from the reference to jitter (which incidentally is irrelevant in this scenario) that you might think that your proposed dual mono arrangement would be in some way acoustically superior. It wouldn't.
Ok, just to be clear, is the above true even if I don't connect the Sonos speaker to the WiFi (or only briefly one at a time to be setup in separate Sonos networks)

The thing is, I've got a small kid who any day now will find enjoyment in punching his fingers through the woofers on my studio monitors so I was thinking of buying a pair of Play 5 to replace them. Would this be possible to setup in any way?

I noticed in my existing system that when the WiFi goes down, the speaker with the line in continues to play on its own (off the grid).
If you set up the Play:5s independently of one another, either within the same system or in two entirely separate systems, there'd be no guarantee that they'd be in sync at all. Stereo images could be all over the place.

However in the absence of a network connection, two paired Play:5s would mesh themselves together wirelessly. You could therefore configure 'Line-In Autoplay' for the pair such that when, say, the left Line-In receives a signal it plays on both, in stereo obviously.

To be honest I don't see why you'd want to disconnect the speakers from the network and forego all the benefits of a streaming music system. You might just as well get some basic active speakers.