Is it worth picking a fixed 5ghz channel?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi,

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and I’m in the UK. I downloaded the Wi-Fi analyzer Android app to check for the best 2.4ghz channel to set my router to. I have noticed on it though, that under the 5ghz tab, myself and pretty much everyone around me is set to channel 36 (my Router has this one set under it’s auto smart setting unlike the 2.4 where it had a manual channel selected).

When I then do diagnostic on the app it tells me everything is fine apart from the 5ghz channel where it is reporting interference : 90% and recommends another channel - 38 through to 44. I know I would have to turn off the smart function to set this in my router otherwise it will just revert back to channel 36.

Is there a reason BT would have set the Hub in that way for the 5ghz channel and should I leave it alone? Or would picking a fixed one that isn’t used nearby be a good thing to do?

32 replies

Just out of curiosity, have you named both Sonos ‘rooms’ in your (physical) Lounge as ‘Lounge’?  If so, i don’t think it will confuse Sonos, but I think it would confuse me!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have my rooms names with the speaker name, then - ‘the room’

For example my Beam room is called SONOS Beam - Lounge, and the Fives room is called SONOS Five - Lounge 😄

And my other speakers have similar names lol

I did have to play around with the Sonos voice to make him understand if I wanted him to play music on the Fives, using the Beams mic 

Ah OK.  I was missing the fact that the ‘Five’ etc was part of your label, not standard into on the matrix - that should have been obvious to me by now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yeah my names are a little confusing 🤣

I like having the speaker name as part of the room name

Isn’t the word “SONOS” in the room name a tad redundant?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Maybe 😂

Userlevel 7

I have my rooms names with the speaker name, then - ‘the room’

For example my Beam room is called SONOS Beam - Lounge, and the Fives room is called SONOS Five - Lounge 😄

And my other speakers have similar names lol

I did have to play around with the Sonos voice to make him understand if I wanted him to play music on the Fives, using the Beams mic 

Did you ever try just saying ‘hey Sonos, play on my five’

And I’m glad you don’t have to use your Boost name with SVC 😂