Question

In Ceiling Speaker Setup

• 4 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello all,

I am building a new house and have prewired for in ceiling audio. My current speaker runs are as followed:

2 speakers in main living area
1 speaker in guest bath
1 speaker in office
1 speaker in master
1 speaker in master bath
1 speaker in soffit over deck

Due to size, I only prewired 1 speaker to certain rooms as can be seen above.

That said, what is a basic configuration for Sonos with this setup and how can I power all speakers with one Sonos system?

Also, if possible, I would like 4 zones that can be played either simultaneously or separately.

Please note I’m a compete newbie at this..

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
If you stick with your current plan of all 3rd party in-ceiing speakers you may have to invest six (6) Sonos Connect Amps at an approximate cost of $499 each or $2,994 total (USD). That doesn't include the cost of your 3rd party speakers!

Another option is to forego the in-ceiling speakers for Sonos speakers on a table, desk, counter, shelf or cabinet. If that doesn't suit you you can go with wall and/or ceiling mounts. Here are my suggestions;

Play 5 x 2_main living area ($1,198 USD)
Sonos One with Alexa all other rooms ($995 USD) or Play:1 all other rooms ($745 USD)

In your case either with the Connect Amps or Sonos speakers you may have six (6) zones (rooms) *

* You could make the master bath and bed a single zone which brings the total down to five (5). That would also eliminate one Sonos Connect Amp if you stick with your in-ceiling setup as both speakers could be run off the same Connect Amp.
The only other limitation I see using Sonos speakers would be if there are no bath receptacles or you live in a country where bath receptacles are not allowed. Good luck and Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Usually each room will have it's own in-wall volume control. In my house I have 2 stereo sets of speakers on one Sonos AMP. I control the volume locally using the in-wall volume controls.