Answered

I can't access iTunes Library located on NAS

• 30 January 2022
  • 4 replies

My Sonos app is on a PC running win11 Pro. My iTunes library is located on NAS. I can’t find a pathname that I can enter in ‘Music Library Settings’ that will access the iTunes library. I have used ‘Another folder or drive connected to my computer’ and ‘Networked device’, both in setup. I do have a mapped drive from PC to iTunes library on NAS.  iTunes uses the path I:\iTunes\iTunes Media to find iTunes media folder location. I have tried a number of permutations of pathnames with no success. I:\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music error, computer is not responding; \\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music error computer iTunes cannot be found. I read in another question that Sonos has switched to streaming via http:// 

My question is: how can I enter a url in the Sonos app so that it can locate my music files. Maybe I’m just being dense, but I’m not seeing it. I can create a url to my iTunes songs but what do I do with it (the url)?

The share link looks something like this:  http://192.168.0.145:8000/portal/apis/fileExplorer/share_link.cgi?link=NSUeCHQvlrEMaxxxxxx

This link works in a browser window, how do I get Sonos to recognize it?

Hope this makes some sense. I have a habit of making a 15 minute job into a 2 day job. I’m going on 3!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 January 2022, 09:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Are you running Sonos S1, or S2? If you’re running S1, you’ll need to be sure that you have SMB v1 and NTML 1 running on the firmware of your NAS. 

Rather than using I:, which is a designation assigned by Windows, substitute just the IP address of the NAS, followed by the \iTunes stuff…. Assuming it’s still called iTunes. Certainly worth double checking the path by using windows explorer, but remember that when you’re telling Sonos the path, it’s not running from your Windows box, but from the Linux kernel running on the speakers, which is why it has no idea what I: is. 

When in “Another folder or drive connected to my computer” or “Network device” did you try to browse for the folder containing your music?

Thank you Bruce, that did the trick.

I used \\192.168.0.145\music\itunes

and it connected right up.

I appreciate it.

Terry

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bruce I just did post this question, perhaps you have some ideas.

I was having an issue with Sonos controller finding iTunes which is on NAS. Several false starts before I figured it out. Now that is fixed but I have 3 instances of Windows Media (myemail@somewhere.com) listed in Select a music source. 

How can I delete these entries while keeping Music Library which is the iTunes library that I use.

Any and all suggestions appreciated 

Terry

Not really my area of expertise, but I’d assume that in the selected folder, there are three different files in that folder that cause three different instance to appear. I’d be looking in that folder for some sort of duplication. Or have you set up three instances? 

Although someone with greater knowledge than I about music sources might have a better idea….