How To Assign a Static/Reserve IP Address To Each Sonos Product on Your Network

• 11 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hello

I want to start this thread in hopes that others may add to it.

Quite often topics are posted in the community regarding Sonos products not showing in the Sonos app. Sometimes, you may see a question mark (?) indicating that one (or more) of the components in a home theater setup is missing such as:

• Living Room  (LS+?+Sub)
  • Arc 

In the above example the Right Surround (RS) is missing. Typically, the issue involves a network issue. In addition to other recommended trouble shooting steps setting a Static/Reserve IP Address for each Sonos product is highly recommended.

Truth be told that’s easily said and done if you know how. I’m a visual person. If you have never set a Static/Reserve IP Address you may be wondering how to access the right area in your routers Admin page and of course then perform the operation. 

This initial post will focus on Asus Routers. However, the general procedure is generic to most routers with a few exceptions (*). 

• The first step is to access your routers web based Admin page by opening your browser on a computer and typing its IP Address in the address field. It should look similar this 192.168.xx.x
  • Next type the Admin Name and Password (hopefully you have secured your router as such)
  • Next click the link below which is a YouTube video (**) and learn how to assign a Static/Reserve IP Address to your Sonos products. They will appear as “Sonos, Inc.

HINT:

If you open your Sonos app while setting the IP Addresses you can go to Settings > System > About My System. There you can see each of your units, the room assigned and current IP Address. I used the current IP address as the Static/Reserve IP and changed the name from Sonos, Inc to….for example: “Sonos Era 300 Living Room RS

I hope this helps those with Asus routers and maybe others as well. This thread can be a popular go to if members will post similar instructions/videos. 

https://youtu.be/bndL91kEXr8?si=YJ5NknqExGuYw8hH

* You may not be able to access your routers Admin page if your equipment is provided by your ISP

** The beginning of the video contains advertising which can be skipped after few seconds.

1 reply

Just as a note, not all ‘routers’ allow reserved IP addresses. Two that I have had to deal with are StarLink, and T-Mobile’s 5G ‘routers’.

I’m not a fan of this obfuscation, I find it troubling. I certainly recommend those who have these type of devices to use them as gateways to their ‘normal’ router, which should allow them to set up reserved IP addresses.