Question

How do I setup sonos with my turntable system?

• 22 July 2013
  • 13 replies

I bought sonos so I could set it up with my turntables and mixer system, doing away with my wired speakers and offering more flexibility. So far though I haven't had any joy in getting this correct. I did phone in a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't hear back. I have two technics 1210's connected to an Allen and Heath mixer which is then connected to a Cambridge Audio amp, which was then connected to two speakers. I have a Sonos Bridge, Sonos Connect and a play 5. If someone can help with instructions/diagrams on how this should be set up I would be delighted.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok Sonos bridge is used to connect your system to your home network. Use Ethernet cable to connect to your home network and plug the bridge in. Now you need to connect your Sonos Connect to your Mixer. Connect the RCA (red/white) input on the Sonos connect to one of the RCA (red/white) XLR Mix outputs on your mixer. Optional: You can also hook the Sonos Connect output to one of the Line Inputs on your mixer. You could then mix any music you play on your Sonos into your system (so you could then input digital music in addition to your 2 turntable sources). Now you want to play your output from the mixer to your Play 5. In the controller application select the Play 5 zone. In the Music Menu on the right go down to where you see Line In. Under Line in you should see your Sonos Connect. Selecting that will the play your Mixer output to your Play 5. Same thing applies to any other Sonos speakers you want to add to your system.
Hi, whilst on the subject I would like to also ask a question. I am new to Sonos and am considering purchasing a Sonos system. However im a bit concerned about some of the reviews on the net mentioning audio delays/latency when connecting dj decks via mixer to Sonos. Has this been resolved do you know? For beatmatching it is essential that the speaker output matches the headphone cue output.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When connecting to a Sonos input sonos has to digitize the bit stream (as they are analog inputs - except the Soundbar which has a Toslink optical cable). The analog inputs digitizing supposedly adds 40ms of delay from the input source. Not a lot of delay but a delay none the less between the input source and the Sonos network. As far as if a Soundbar was used as the input source (digital-digital) I'm not sure if there is a delay added. Now - most of the complaints when it comes to delay and Sonos have to do with people who have a Sonos:Connect hooked to their home theater / receiver. The processing in the receiver can add delay and therefore the output from a receiver can be late compared to other direct Sonos speakers. People have asked to be able to add delay to the direct speakers so they match up in syncronization to the speakers that are being delayed by the external receiver/amplifier.
Hi, Cheers for the reply. Yeah it is frustrating really that there is no way to pass a direct signal through connect without processing. With beatmatching even the slightest delay will make it impossible. The only way I can think of getting round this is to purchase a connect, link it up to my amplifier via one of the av inputs. Then to have my decks still linked to the amp on a different input, therefore the decks are not processed by the Sonos connect therefore no delay. However this is not ideal since if im using my own amplifier then that amplifier has to be switched on 24/7 on the av input so that I can stream music remotely at any time. Could be costly electricity wise 😞 Anyone have any better suggestions?
Hi Chris Many thanks for your help. I'm still having serious issues with this though. I'm not yet worried about the latency, just actually getting the sound would be nice. The sound quality I'm receiving is atrocious, the level is so low I'm having to turn up the mixer to max, and if I turn up the channel level it just distorts through the Play 5. I think this might be because when the sound leaves the turntable come mixer it isn't 'amplified'? Should it have been the connect amp that was recommended to me and not the connect? Any extra advice here would be much appreciated. Do Sonos not have a standard template/schematic for people with my set up? Surely this should be easier to set up? Regards Roddy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you gone into the Sonos controller under settings for the Play:5. The line in has a setting from Low to High signal setting to adjust for the volume level your turntable inputs into the Play:5
Userlevel 2
if your turntable does not have a built in pre-amp you need one between the turntable and the sonos
Ok Sonos bridge is used to connect your system to your home network. Use Ethernet cable to connect to your home network and plug the bridge in. Now you need to connect your Sonos Connect to your Mixer. Connect the RCA (red/white) input on the Sonos connect to one of the RCA (red/white) XLR Mix outputs on your mixer. Optional: You can also hook the Sonos Connect output to one of the Line Inputs on your mixer. You could then mix any music you play on your Sonos into your system (so you could then input digital music in addition to your 2 turntable sources). Now you want to play your output from the mixer to your Play 5. In the controller application select the Play 5 zone. In the Music Menu on the right go down to where you see Line In. Under Line in you should see your Sonos Connect. Selecting that will the play your Mixer output to your Play 5. Same thing applies to any other Sonos speakers you want to add to your system.
Very good explanation. Thx!
Hi, whilst on the subject I would like to also ask a question. I am new to Sonos and am considering purchasing a Sonos system. However im a bit concerned about some of the reviews on the net mentioning audio delays/latency when connecting dj decks via mixer to Sonos. Has this been resolved do you know? For beatmatching it is essential that the speaker output matches the headphone cue output.
Forget it. I have 2 play 5s a play bar 2 play 31s and the sub. There is a processor in the play 5 that will cause a 70ms delay so beat matching is impossible!!!!!! No work around either. I have tried running my mixer into the tv then out of the tv into the play bar but the tv processes all the info and then again creates a delay. I have many contacts at sonos and they say that this will not be rectified. The connect amp also has a 70ms delay. In short. better off getting a proper 2ch amp with some decent speakers or go for some proper reference monitors.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm just trying to hook my turntable up to my sonos system for Playback purposes (I won't be mixing anything). I don't have the 'Connect', but I do have the RCA output from my turntable hooked up to my PLAY:5 through the 3mm input. Will there be a recognizable quality difference worth investing in the connect so I can run RCA to RCA?

My living room setup is the Playbar, Sub, and 2-PLAY:3s for surrounds, however even when setting the highest quality audio input on the Line In settings, it doesn't seem to play very loud (maybe 20% as loud as streaming music to the Sonos system plays). Just trying to think through the best way to hook this up.

Thanks,
Damien
The thread below may also be relevant to your situation.  Worth checking out anyway.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/no-volume-from-record-player-into-input-jack
The most practical way to cope with the delay issue would be to use the split-cue on your headphones. It's useful to learn the skill for less ideal club settings as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure what that reply was answering on this year old thread.