Answered

Having separate networks for Sonos and Internet/WiFi

I had a standalone router with no internet connection running my three Play 5's and a Bridge.

This was down to how poor our internet speeds were with Sonos connected to our ISP router.

Initial set up was awkward, but I got it to work somehow.

But now my Bridge died, and Sonos S1 app won't detect speakers at all, neither will Airplay through Music app. 

What can I do to get back to that set up, and is there a guide how to set up standalone routers purely for Sonos use?

Do I just have to buy a Bridge (2nd hand I'm guessing)?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 May 2023, 20:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t buy a Bridge as they are getting to be problems.

Best option run an Ethernet cable to any of your Sonos after unplugging the Bridge.

Second option is to add a Boost, the replacement for the Bridge.

You might try your Sonos on your WiFi again, a lot has improved over time and you might find they work well on it now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree with Stanley.

Get a boost or wire one of the speakers 😊

I have tried Ethernet connecting, to no avail. Speakers literally don't show up on either network or Airplay. On an iPad Air 2022.

Have ordered the Boost. And also messaged the TP Link support with the issue.

We need a bit more data about this issue. Wiring one of the PLAY:5’s to the network port used for BRIDGE should have brought them all back online. BRIDGE and BOOST are simply players with the audio gutted. They are used to make a network connection at a location where you don’t need a player. 

Are you attempting to wire to a TP Link mesh point? 

No it's a standalone router. I'm using an iPad as the library, and using Sonos S1 app to group the speakers. 

If I Ethernet wire one of my Play 5s, will this connect them all?

I have tried, but it WAS working when the Bridge was alive.....

Wire one of the PLAY:5’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SgtFinaldo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you are unable to connect to Sonos, you will not be able to install your Boost in such a way that it will be able to help. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who will guide you through the process, and perhaps see if you don’t need the Boost at all.

Please note that an internet connection is required - the chances of a new Boost being on the same software version as your system are remote, so updates will be needed.

I hope this helps.

But do I need a constant internet connection?

I can set up Boost and speakers with online connection, and then to have them on an offline router separate from our ISP router. Is this possible?

Should work, if you’re only playing ‘local’ content, since the Sonos speakers, once set up using the internet, will no longer be connected to the outside world, just themselves across this offline router. 

But you must originally set them up while connected to the outside world. The setup process requires a touch to the Sonos servers for a multiple of reasons. But once they’re set up, you can move them to a LAN that isn’t connected to the outside world. Not sure why you would want to do that, you’re cutting out 99% of the content access, but it should work. But many gen 1 products won’t work with AirPlay, as they don’t have the appropriate antennas in them, and Apple has blocked the ‘on this device’ functionality. On the other hand, if it’s been working for you recently, there have been no changes. I’d definitely get rid of the BRIDGE, though. Too many issues with the power supply at this age. 

And yes, wiring the single PLAY:5 is the same as a BOOST, it just includes a speaker. 

Got it working. So, I set up my TP Link router (Offline) as normal, but no internet. Left it to normal set up. 

The new Boost arrived, so I Etherneted it to ISP router, updated, all that. 

THEN I Etherneted Boosty to the Offline. Sonos S1 app found it. Then I Etherneted one of the Play:5's to the Boost. S1 found it, and then found the other speakers. Although I will say, I had to unplug the speakers and let them naturally be found.

All sorted. 

We have a massive library 80GB from CDs uploaded to iTunes from back in the day, and online Music Store purchases.

We keep it all on an iPad Air 2022. 128GB.

We have a backup on a Hard drive.

This is simple for my mum to navigate.

It can be done. We had serious WiFi issues with Sonos on it, so this "separation" fixes it.

Keep your ISP router and Offline router a distance apart! They can interfere with each other.

BOOST has more effective radios than BRIDGE.

And a better power supply, at least so far….