Group Coordinator with SonosNet and non-SonosNet ERA devices

• 2 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I have previously had issues playing to multiple devices, especially ALAC. The solution was to add a couple of ethernet connected devices to SonosNet, this has worked well.

I understand that the first device playing is the group coordinator, and if possible should be a wired device.

Reason I ask, is I’m thinking or replacing some wired P1’s with ERA100’s and don’t want to break my existing system, ie cause drop outs etc. Here is the Network Matix with P1’s connected to ethernet, this is fine and stable:

I disconnected the two P1’s I want to replace with ERA100 and SonosNet doesn’t look so healthy.

If I add a couple of ERA100’s in this setup, I would be stressing the SonosNet again, and the drop outs may return?

What happens when a non-SonosNet is the first device?

eg lets say I start streaming to an ERA100, and then group a non-wired SonosNet device.

The stream will go through router, via WiFi to ERA, back via WiFi to router, then via ethernet to wired SonosNet device, and then onward via wireless SonosNet?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

Thanks for your post!

What happens when a non-SonosNet is the first device?

eg lets say I start streaming to an ERA100, and then group a non-wired SonosNet device.

The stream will go through router, via WiFi to ERA, back via WiFi to router, then via ethernet to wired SonosNet device, and then onward via wireless SonosNet?

This is correct, yes. Though, with the increased bandwidth available to speakers on the 5 or 6 GHz WiFi bands, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding SonosNet if your Play:1s are replaced, I recommend ethernet-wiring some other speakers in another location, if that’s an option.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thankyou @Corry P .

This is correct, yes. Though, with the increased bandwidth available to speakers on the 5 or 6 GHz WiFi bands, this shouldn’t be an issue.

I just checked the connection from ERA100, and I think the connection should be fast enough on WiFi 😀

I think I may reconsider using wireless for the older devices, this will free up a spare 2.4Ghz channel that is dedicated to SonosNet, and would give me option for another AP if required. My concern was with latency on the 2.4Ghz channels, as this is quite heavily used already.

One other question, how can I find out the 5Ghz channel used for the HT connection (Arc+Sub), and what channel width does it use, 20, 40 or 80?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

1.2Gbps should just about cover it! 😂

That number rings a bell!

The 5GHz channel used by Home Theatre primaries is configured dynamically, so can change depending on the amount of interference the speakers see. The only current way of determining which channel is in use is to contact Sonos technical support who will look at a diagnostic. As it can change, I’m not sure how useful this would be.

I assume that the channel width will be 20MHz, but I couldn’t find this written down anywhere - I’ll try to come back with a definite answer.

I hope this helps.