Answered

Garden Room Network Options

• 10 September 2022
  • 3 replies

I am about to build a garden room remote from my main house.  I will run 2 Cat6 cables from the house router to the room (as a contingency) but am wondering if I could connect one directly to my new Sonos amp while using the second cable to connect directly to a wireless access point to establish my wi-fi.  Any downsides to this and any recommendations for a new access point would be appreciated.  I assume if one of the Cat6 cables fail in the future that I could use a simple ethernet switch upstream of both the access point and Sonos Amp? 

icon

Best answer by ratty 10 September 2022, 16:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Failure of one trunk cable would simply mean plugging in the backup cable instead.

As for local switching arrangements, a small dumb switch would be cleaner. However you could always daisy-chain the connection to the AP through the Amp as suggested. The downsides to the daisy-chain are that the AP would be restricted to 100Mbps, and during Sonos system updates the connection to the AP would be interrupted for a short while. 

If lightning strikes are common in your neighborhood, install lightning protection on those CAT-6’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d stick with an AP that matches the one you have now, keeping things simple is almost always good.

If you want a full featured AP the Ubiquity line are great. You can use them with a smart controller or an app. 

I dislike daisy chaining but it does work.