Answered

Feature request: trueplay for multiple speaker configurations

• 13 January 2021
  • 5 replies

My default set up is to have my one sl in the office, one in the dining room and, beam in the living room connected to the main TV. However, I regularly stereo pair the one and sl together in the dining room and when watching movies I will set up the one and sl as surrounds with the Beam in the living room.

When using the trueplay feature, does this overwrite all exisiting sound settings for each speaker or does it just alter the sound settings for the speaker in a particular room/ configuration?

It would be good to have a feature that allows the speaker settings identified using the trueplay set up to be rememberred, so we don’t have to use trueplay everytime speakers are moved to get the most of the set up.

Alternatively, sonos could create a saved configuration option, so don’t have to unpair from stereo in the dining room before setting up the surrounds in the living room. Could just select ‘custom config 3’ as an example and the set up would happend automatically.

icon

Best answer by ratty 13 January 2021, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Bonding or unbonding -- in stereo pairs or home theatre setups -- wipes out any previous Trueplay tuning.

I can understand the desire to have a ‘save/restore’ option for Trueplay settings, but (a) a bond is intended to be a semi-permanent union of speakers into a single ‘room’, and (b) speakers are usually moved around when bonding/unbonding and any small displacement from their original positions could change the room effects that Trueplay is designed to deal with. For a consistent UX and acoustic performance Sonos requires that the tuning be re-done.

You may want to consider getting a Move, which is designed to be moved around and will automatically retune itself.  You  could leave your SL and One in the living room permanently, and move the Move between office and dining room as needed.

Thanks for your responses @ratty @melvimbe.

Are there any reasons why the one or sl cannot automatically retune? Automatic retuning would be a more elegant solution than what I originally proposed.

You mean Auto Trueplay, as offered by the Move? The SL doesn’t have a microphone. I don't know enough about Auto Trueplay. The One, in isolation, could perhaps tune itself, but it’s not obvious how it could deal with multiple sources (a paired SL or a Beam setup).

Agree with ratty.  Auto Trueplay tuning is only available on the Move.  Obviously, the mic is required, not sure if there is other hardware required.  The tuning process is clearly different since it does not involve moving the mic around the room as it does for normal Trueplay.