Answered

external hard drive

• 2 March 2023
  • 8 replies

I am trying to add an external HD to my system as the Music Library. This worked when I used an NAS but although I’ve gone through the right steps (I think) with this hard drive, and updated the library, I get ‘no selections are available’ when I look for music.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 March 2023, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Which external hard drive?

Is the drive visible from your computer’s networked drives list when only connected to the network and power, no USB to the computer?

S1 or S2 Sonos system?

It’s a WD 2Tb. 

If I understand your question - do I see the HD on computers other than the one it’s plugged into? - and the answer is ‘no.’ 

I might note that unless I was intentionally working with the NAS, I never saw that either. Still, it’s a good question. It needs to be mounted or something maybe? 

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It has to be both mounted and then the mount point shared to the network.

I’ll research doing that, and do it, and let you know. Thanks again. 

Once it’s mounted, sharing>file sharing on>’music collection, all’>sonosdms1 (read only) - yes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Depends on what operating system you are using, I don’t use Windows or Mac but if you post what you are using someone will have the answer.

Mac, Ventura 13.2.1. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mbitty 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please follow the instructions on our No tracks from Mac USB drive in Sonos music library help page.

I hope this helps.