Answered

Explain Sonos 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

• 7 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +2
Obviously, this question has been discussed in this forum, I want to clarify some questions.

5Ghz is only used in a 5.1 set up I suppose? In terms of connectivity bond, projecting sound from Tv (Movies)

2.4Ghz is employed in multi-room usage? In terms of projecting your movie audio to different rooms; Streaming music from Spotify (I believe that a 5.1 streaming music is using 2.4ghz then)

So how Sonosnet have anything to do with this?
If I'm using a standard set up for my 5.1, I'm actually getting my router to work on 5ghz? if this statement even make sense
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 January 2019, 15:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Basically, 5ghz is going to be used for communication between speakers setup in the 5.1 room you've setup. So your Sonos soudbar, Sub, and satellite surround speakers will be communicating over 5gHz. All other communication will be over 2.4ghz.

Sonosnet (now called 'wired') is basically Sonos own 2.4ghz wireless network, separate from the wifi network your router creates. When you're in standard (now called 'wireless') you're using your routers 2.4ghz wifi. Sonos will never use your router's 5ghz wifi.

This article does a pretty good job of explaining things.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

Moderator Edit:

Non-Home Theatre Sonos devices will now connect to 5GHz WiFi from a router.

Badge +2
Basically, 5ghz is going to be used for communication between speakers setup in the 5.1 room you've setup. So your Sonos soudbar, Sub, and satellite surround speakers will be communicating over 5gHz. All other communication will be over 2.4ghz.

Sonosnet (now called 'wired') is basically Sonos own 2.4ghz wireless network, separate from the wifi network your router creates. When you're in standard (now called 'wireless') you're using your routers 2.4ghz wifi. Sonos will never use your router's 5ghz wifi.

This article does a pretty good job of explaining things.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

Thank you! What if you use a standard set up for your 5.1, I have seen folks doing that & it was stable. Will Sonos tap into 5ghz on the router?

Thank you! What if you use a standard set up for your 5.1, I have seen folks doing that & it was stable. Will Sonos tap into 5ghz on the router?

No, Sonos will never use the 5ghz on the router.
Badge +2

No, Sonos will never use the 5ghz on the router.

If using a standard set up on a 5.1, what bandwidth does Sonos uses to communicate the required components?
Say you have a playbar, a sub, and two Sonos Ones for surround...no other speakers/rooms in you system. In standard, or 'wireless' mode, the playbar (acts like a master) will connect to your router over 2.4ghz wifi. The playbar then connects to the sub and 2 Sonos Ones using it's own 5.0ghz signal.
Badge +2
Say you have a playbar, a sub, and two Sonos Ones for surround...no other speakers/rooms in you system. In standard, or 'wireless' mode, the playbar (acts like a master) will connect to your router over 2.4ghz wifi. The playbar then connects to the sub and 2 Sonos Ones using it's own 5.0ghz signal.

I see, that will be using Playbar's own antennas that has both 2.4 & 5ghz. Thank you for clarifying!
Badge +2
Hi! Adding a question: if I have A Wi-Fi router only doing 5ghz, then the only way to get Sonos to work is if I hook one of them up with Ethernet and let them create a 2.4ghz network of their own?
Hi! Adding a question: if I have A Wi-Fi router only doing 5ghz, then the only way to get Sonos to work is if I hook one of them up with Ethernet and let them create a 2.4ghz network of their own?That is absolutely correct. Well, one or more wired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If hooking a speaker up isn't easy Sonos makes the Boost to get the Sonos network hooked to your Ethernet network.