Drop Outs Discussion

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Badge +2

Can I just reiterate my first forum post here?  My instincts were spot on -- SonosNet is basically useless in my setup.  I tried and pushed and retried over and over and after spending 80+ hours (these past couple of months), all along I just needed to surgically remove this “feature” from my system.  I mean I spent years refining and expanding my beautiful Mesh wifi system so I have spectacular connectivity in my entire 1200 SF place, plus my 2 outdoor patios, courtyard, and even my garage.  All of which, including outdoor space, probably adds up to 3-4K SF total.  Hence why 4 total Orbi’s isn’t completely and utterly overkill.  But the precious backhaul is what saves the day.

I will admit that I abandoned Home WiFi mode early on in my huge amount of time spent on this problem because I saw that I couldn’t run stereo pairs as a single node.  That was a disappointment, but likely is because SonosNet operates more in a bridge sense for each device, while clients to home wifi are simply individual clients, not bridges.  Although this seems like a software issue that could be revised, because I know hardware bridges can connect to my Orbi and give me Ethernet ports.  I like reducing total number of talking clients and pushing more data over fewer clients.  But my Orbi network is strong enough to gracefully handle ~9 fully wireless nodes, with ~6 hardwired to Orbi.

I wish I could blend the two network styles.  I’d like my surrounds/sub to be able to operate with a single connection to Amp.  But no, since my whole network is in non-SonosNet mode, nothing, even ad-hoc devices, can be grouped/bundled over one connection.  Evidenced by surrounds/sub do not show unless wifi is on for each.  They can’t jump over Ethernet to another Sonos to get data.

BUT at least my network seems to be functioning now.  Audio is fantastic, 99%+, and I don’t get spin spin spin loaders on everything...omg that was awful.  It’s great when you’re curated, carefully crafted network with fairly decent equipment (now old but still robust) just isn’t stable.

Badge +2

Using home wifi sadly only works flawlessly with streaming music.  Not with grouping to a live audio source (HDMI or analog input).  While SonosNet worked great with live audio sources but not streaming music.  So neither works fully for everything always.  Makes sense because using home wifi means there are at least 2 hops to get audio to any other nodes while SonosNet can hop only once to get live audio sources to other zones.

The only way that my sized system works is to use a hybrid approach with some connected to Orbi and some using SonosNet, which works great, except breaks my network.  So I guess it’s just not possible for me to use Sonos reliably for all use cases.