Answered

dolby digital plus through ps5

• 19 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Playing the UHD blu-ray of ZS Justice league on my PS5, I can get multi-Chanel Dolby digital  via my TV’s Arc to Sonos Arc, but not Atmos. My TV is capable of Dolby digital plus pass through and I can get Atmos via my nVidea Shield for Apple TV app etc. and it will show Dolby Atmos in my Sonos app. However, I can’t seem to pass through Dolby digital plus from my PS5 to my Sonos Arc via the TV. I only have an Arc on the TV, not an eArc. Is this a limitation of the PS5 or am I missing something in the settings of the PS5? I’ve changed all the usual settings such as AV amp, Dolby instead of PCM and bitstream on the playback settings for the blu-ray menu. I seem capable of getting Dolby digital 5.1 displayed in the Sonos app but, is there a way to get Atmos that I’m missing given this setup?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 September 2021, 15:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

You need a TV with HDMI eARC to get Dolby Atmos audio from UHD discs because the Atmos data is carried on a Dolby TrueHD track, not Dolby Digital Plus.

You might consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that allows the PS5 to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I thought that may be the case. I’ve got an HDFury on order to hopefully sort the lip sync issues on the nVidea and ATV. At least I’ll be be able to try out TrueHD when it finally arrives.