Design Options - Which should I do?

I’m trying to build a killer system for a home gym in a large room with a climbing wall & weight lifting/training equipment.  Sonos will be the source of the music with all 3 options.  I'm interested in folks opinions of the options.  I appreciate the input!

I want great quality sound that I can turn up loud when I want it. The room is large with tall ceilings - 13’ ceilings & about 22’x23’ dimensions. I listen to alternative, rock, hip-hop music.

Option 1 - "Sonos Full" - (4) Sonos Fives, (2) Sonos Subs.
Cost - around $5K.
Thoughts - Simple. Pure, Less expensive. Not sure if it would be loud enough in this large room.
Option 2 - "Sonos Hybrid" - (2) Sonos Fives, (2) KEF R3s, (2) Rythmik Subs, (1) Sonos Amp.
Cost - around $8K.
Thoughts - Primarily adds better subs, but also mixes in different music profile.
Option 3 - "3rd Party" - (2) KEF R11s, (2) Rythmik Subs, (1) NAD C399, (1) Sonos Port.
Cost - around $12K.
Thoughts - Def loud enough.  Sound not as distributed.  Most expensive.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos Port feeding a hefty multi-channel (run in mono mode) amp and your choice of speakers.

I’d go with at least four mid-sized (not floor standing) speakers mounted above head level, maybe add four more if you picked too-small ones and need the additional sound levels.

Four of these should fill the room: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700HRSY4WN/Klipsch-Heritage-Heresy-IV-Walnut.html?tp=34

“Best” sound is a personal judgement. In fitness rooms bass tends to be the determinant of “loud”. If this is the case for you, multiple subwoofers, even with the HERESY’s would be a good plan.

The HERESYs will sound distinctly different from FIVE’s or KEF’s. If you want to emulate the type of sound usually fostered in fitness clubs, go with the HERESYs.

I would prefer stereo, but this is another personal choice.

Note that this sort of aggressive sound will be hard to contain. Other household members will be very aware of activity in the gym. Double, non touching walls (sort of a room within a room), double doors (with good seals), and pads under floor mounted subwoofers will help keep the leakage down to a dull roar. Windows, if any will be a significant “leak”. Double pane 1/4” plate glass construction will be helpful here.

Sonos Port feeding a hefty multi-channel (run in mono mode) amp and your choice of speakers.

I’d go with at least four mid-sized (not floor standing) speakers mounted above head level, maybe add four more if you picked too-small ones and need the additional sound levels.

Four of these should fill the room: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700HRSY4WN/Klipsch-Heritage-Heresy-IV-Walnut.html?tp=34

Klipsch speakers seem to focus the sound at a small area, conducive to not moving around.  This has gym equipment in it, I’m going to be moving around quite a bit...so seems like Klipsch isn’t a good solution for this use case.

Why run in mono mode?  Does that mean all 4 speakers are playing the same thing rather than 2 L and 2 R in stereo mode?

Thanks!

“Best” sound is a personal judgement. In fitness rooms bass tends to be the determinant of “loud”. If this is the case for you, multiple subwoofers, even with the HERESY’s would be a good plan.

The HERESYs will sound distinctly different from FIVE’s or KEF’s. If you want to emulate the type of sound usually fostered in fitness clubs, go with the HERESYs.

I would prefer stereo, but this is another personal choice.

Note that this sort of aggressive sound will be hard to contain. Other household members will be very aware of activity in the gym. Double, non touching walls (sort of a room within a room), double doors (with good seals), and pads under floor mounted subwoofers will help keep the leakage down to a dull roar. Windows, if any will be a significant “leak”. Double pane 1/4” plate glass construction will be helpful here.

Pads like these?  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1256525-REG/auray_iso_sub_iso_pad.html

Not familiar with them.  So they’ll limit transfer of unnecessary sound/movement to other areas outside the room?

Yes, “limit,” not “eliminate” would be the best description of the expected results.

If you need good isolation it would be best to hire a contractor experienced in the construction methods and the science of sound isolation. It’s sort of similar to a roof. If any minor little detail is overlooked, the roof will leak. I warn you that these contractors are anal because they know that any little detail compromise will degrade the isolation.