Answered

Convoluted networking setup - will this work or am I wasting my time?

• 29 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi gang,

I’m getting a little frustrated here and want to make sure this will even work before spending any more time! 

I have a Port in my office running to our main router through ethernet. Wifi is turned off for this Port as there is a phono stage in close proximity. 

The router is then connecting to a mesh network point (wirelessly) in another area of this house. This point has an ethernet port and is wired to a Connect on another hifi system. I was hoping this would create a Sonosnet mesh network for the three One SL’s scatted around the house, but it doesn’t seem to be doing so. 

When I enable wifi on the Port it does work. 

Is Sonosnet unable to interface with hardwired components? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by tedd1988 29 March 2023, 03:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi gang,

I’m getting a little frustrated here and want to make sure this will even work before spending any more time! 

I have a Port in my office running to our main router through ethernet. Wifi is turned off for this Port as there is a phono stage in close proximity. 

The router is then connecting to a mesh network point (wirelessly) in another area of this house. This point has an ethernet port and is wired to a Connect on another hifi system. I was hoping this would create a Sonosnet mesh network for the three One SL’s scatted around the house, but it doesn’t seem to be doing so. 

Thanks!

A SonosNet system still needs the wifi enabled on the Port. That’s why it works when it’s enabled and stops when you disable it. Turn it back on, wait a few moments, then have a look in Settings/System/About my system and see whether the speakers show WM:0 or WM:1.  

So I turned all components off and on again and this fixed it. My apologies for starting a thread before doing the most basic thing one could do!

Hi gang,

Thanks!

A SonosNet system still needs the wifi enabled on the Port. That’s why it works when it’s enabled and stops when you disable it. Turn it back on, wait a few moments, then have a look in Settings/System/About my system and see whether the speakers show WM:0 or WM:1.  

Thanks for suggestion, though after the power cycle all components are now WM0 even with the wifi disabled on the Port :) 

In my opinion the option is mislabeled because it turns OFF the radio that is used for both WiFi and SonosNet. In my opinion, the only reason to turn OFF the radios is when there is a stack of components in a closet and the components are wired to a network switch. Even in this case it would be a good idea to keep one radio enabled.

In my opinion the option is mislabeled because it turns OFF the radio that is used for both WiFi and SonosNet. In my opinion, the only reason to turn OFF the radios is when there is a stack of components in a closet and the components are wired to a network switch. Even in this case it would be a good idea to keep one radio enabled.

I can see how this could be confusing, though I did realise this. The Connect downstairs is the AP for SonosNet as it is plugged into the ethernet port on the mesh extender. 

I wanted the wifi off completely in my office as I work for a hifi company (turntables being my primary area)  and this is my home “reference” system, so the less interference here the better, even if it is only marginal. The router is on the other side of the room and connected with a long ethernet cable. 

In general do you notice that nearby WiFi interferes with phono preamps?

In general do you notice that nearby WiFi interferes with phono preamps?

Nope. But if using a really low-output MC cart and applying a lot of gain at the phono stage it could “maybe” cause some issues. Running a balanced connection from the cart to the phono helps significantly but isn’t always an option and this setup changes frequently for work.

I’m not at all fussed about it on the system in our living room, but better safe than sorry in here :)  

Balanced would not fly very well in a traditional consumer environment, but it could prevent lots of annoying ground loop issues.

Balanced would not fly very well in a traditional consumer environment, but it could prevent lots of annoying ground loop issues.

A moving coil phono cartridge is inherently balanced by design, they are typically then unbalanced in a domestic setting (moving magnet is not balanced). This is changing though and becoming more and more common with balanced devices appearing at the mid-range level.

Unfortunately balanced does nothing to prevent ground loops, but they are very good at mechanically cancelling out airborne noise.