Answered

Connecting wireless hard drive

Badge

I have upgraded from original Sonos to new generation Sonos 2.  My old system connected to a wi-fi connected hard drive (Western Digital MyBookLive). I am trying to add it to the new system, but am having trouble.  I have the IP address for the hard drive, but the app requires me to enter a file path.  But I cannot figure out what the file path is.  When I enter the description of it as it appears in the settings for the Sonos 1 (which still plays from the hard drive), it says that file doesn’t exist.   Spoke for hours to Sonos tech support, but couldn’t figure it out.  Tried file explorer in Windows, but can’t see it.   At a loss.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 December 2022, 14:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge

OK, have now done that, got access, and added the file ppath as shown in the 1 App.  Still nothing from the hard drive showing in the app.  I tried update music library, no difference

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I refer you to my earlier post:

Hi @ctfeher 

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I’m suddenly unable to access diagnostics today, but no-one else seems to have the same problem. I’m trying to get it fixed, but you’ll probably be able to get assistance from the technical support team quicker than you can from me - it may take me days (well, IT).

Badge

I had tried technical support first on the connection issue.  Where I am now is that it seems like I got the file path input and the app says that it is connected.  But nothing from the hard drive appears when I search for anything to play.  Which is where I had arrived with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I was finally able to get access to the diagnostics. They show repeated attempts by the Arc to connect to the share at “//MYBOOKLIVE/Public/SharedMusic” after resolving the IP of the NAS to be 192.168.1.91 but each time, it reports error 111.

My documentation on Error 111 says the following:

Connection Refused - Message : 'Computer refused the connection'  Check for another computer on the network with the same name. If no computer with the same name then reboot the router. 
If that does not work check and reboot any access points or other routers.

The proper service is not functioning correctly on the computer.  (exceedingly rare) the firewall responds that this service is not permitted on this device. The firewall is not filtering share requests

Host is Down - The proper service (SMB v1) is not available on the computer.  Enable SMB v1 (Server) from the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section of the Control Panel.  An Uninstall and Reinstall of the File and Printer Sharing service may also be necessary.
If you see this on a PC from IBM or Lenovo check for Access Connections.

As you can see, there are a few possible fixes. Basically, the device at 192.168.1.91 is refusing to talk to the Arc.

Have you tried disabling SMBv1 on the NAS? It would cut off access for your S1 system, but it’s worth trying just to see if that is indeed the issue.

I still recommend you get in touch with our technical support team again - not every agent is equal, so it possible one will have success where another did not.

I hope this helps.

Badge

how do I disable the SMB on the NAS?  Is the theory that Sonos version 1 and version 2 don’t use the same thing?  I can’t access my music with both systems?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that - I can only recommend going to Western Digital’s support pages at https://www.westerndigital.com/support

S1 uses SMBv1 and S2 uses SMBv2/3, so they definitely don’t use the same thing. However, the server should be able to respond correctly to the client device’s needs and utilise a suitable version of SMB for each client. If S2 is being proffered a SMBv1 connection, that may cause issues - I personally had issues connecting to my SMBv1-only server when SMBv2/3 support was added to Sonos.

I think it worth testing as it will narrow the possibilities of what it is that’s going wrong considerably.