Answered

Connecting wireless hard drive

Badge

I have upgraded from original Sonos to new generation Sonos 2.  My old system connected to a wi-fi connected hard drive (Western Digital MyBookLive). I am trying to add it to the new system, but am having trouble.  I have the IP address for the hard drive, but the app requires me to enter a file path.  But I cannot figure out what the file path is.  When I enter the description of it as it appears in the settings for the Sonos 1 (which still plays from the hard drive), it says that file doesn’t exist.   Spoke for hours to Sonos tech support, but couldn’t figure it out.  Tried file explorer in Windows, but can’t see it.   At a loss.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 December 2022, 14:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First of all, I have to mention that having a WiFi-connected hard drive isn’t recommended. It’s location is irrelevant, so it’s best to connect it to your router with an ethernet cable.

However, seeing as your S1 system is still able to connect and play, I think it likely that the issue has to do with the SMB (the file-sharing protocol) versions that the two Sonos systems are utilising - S1 uses only SMB v1, whereas S2 will use SMB v2/3. 

I suspect you will need to log in to your WD settings and adjust the SMB version that the device uses.

As Windows won’t connect either, however, there may be something else wrong. Perhaps you have a mesh WiFi and a router? Or you have WiFi extenders?

Or, perhaps the router and drive just need a reboot, though I suspect that has already been tried.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Corry

The hard drive is connected by the ethernet cable.  And version 2 seems to connect to the drive, it’s just telling me that the path I’m entering (the name of which is a bit of a guess) doesn’t exist.  Once it seemed to connect, but nothing appeared even after reorganizing the library.  Maybe that’s the SMB version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I can’t help you with the path, but it should be the same path that S1 successfully connects to - which you’ve obviously been trying.

I just now looked up your previous diagnostics and it looks like the issue is likely to be an IP address conflict on your network. If the local IP address of your WD Drive ends in 231 or 178, then I am correct. The best thing to do would be to go into your router/mesh settings and reserve IP addresses for devices that are permanently on your network, such as Sonos devices and the WD Drive and then reboot your router/mesh.

I hope this helps.

Badge

what does reserve IP addresses mean?

And does this mean you don’t think it’s the SMB issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

what does reserve IP addresses mean?

Your network router runs a software module called a DHCP server, which is supposed to supply unique IP addresses to devices trying to connect to the network. For some reason, the same IP address has been handed out to a Sonos device and something non-Sonos on your network. Twice (two Sonos devices are reporting conflicts).

Reserving IP addresses means setting your router up so that it saves particular addresses for particular devices, and those addresses then never go into a pool of available addresses that can be used for new connecting devices.

How you go about doing this depends on the router you are using, and the setup you have. I see in the case notes that you refused remote assistance - I understand why, but this would have been a way for us to do this for you, if it occurred to the agent to do so.

You could just reboot your router by turning it off for at least 30 seconds, and then reboot your Sonos devices and your WD Drive, but that does nothing to prevent this from happening again.

And does this mean you don’t think it’s the SMB issue?

It think this needs to be addressed before there’s any point in trying anything else. There could still be an issue with SMB, but we won’t know until we get rid of the IP conflict. What I think is currently happening is that the speaker performing the indexing (Den) is resolving the path into an IP address, but when it connects to the IP address of the drive and asks for a list of files to index, it instead is connecting to another device with the same IP address (which should be unique on the network) as the drive and the reply it receives goes along the line of “I don’t know what you are talking about”.

I looked a bit deeper and it seems the IP of the drive ends in 121 (or, at least, that it what the Sonos system is being told it is), which is not the IP of any of the Sonos devices, but it might be conflicting with another device, seeing as Sonos devices are reporting conflict with their IPs.

If you have a router and a mesh WiFi, this could be a very important point - please let me know if you do.

Badge

Our set up is complicated.  We have an AT&T modem that has a router, but we don't use that because it isn't strong enough. So that goes into an Amplifi router, which has 3 mesh units.  But then our security system added a Netgear extender to support an outside camera.  That extender is in the same room as the 2 Ones and the subwoofer.  They worker for a while but now don’t.

Interestingly, my Sonos2 App won't work in that room either.  I have to go into a differnt room to control anything.

I’m happy to allow someone to control and set this up.  The fellow that asked about that wasn't looking at this, he was only looking at the file path issue. 

Badge

Amplifi sent this article about bridge mode, which is what your tech said I needed.

To put the AmpliFi router in bridge mode, please refer to this article https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/220979347-Enabling-Bridge-Mode 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

It sounds like you need to configure the Amplifi device to not run it’s DHCP server - simply disabling or not connecting to AT&T’s WiFi isn’t enough. When new devices connect, they are likely getting two responses to the request for an IP address - they listen to the first to arrive. I recommend you search for instructions on how to place your particular Amplifi device into Bridge mode (which disables DHCP). It usually involves a companion app and is reasonably simple to do. You may lose some other functions the Amplifi has while the AT&T device runs the network.

The alternative would be to put the AT&T device into modem mode (if that’s an option - I’m in the UK and not familiar) or manually disable it’s DHCP server (and everything else). If you do this, you should never connect anything to it other than the main mesh node.

Unfortunately, our technicians aren’t really supposed to help with this kind of problem because we’d need remote access to do so and if something goes wrong that cuts off your internet, we can’t access your network and so we can’t fix anything, leaving you in a worse position than when you called. It didn’t always stop me - which is why I mentioned it - but I wasn’t supposed to do it. For this reason, if you require assistance with this I recommend you contact Amplifi, or recruit a friend with technical knowhow. The first option should be simple though.

After reconfiguring your network, reboot everything that connects to it.

It sounds like the extender will be an issue. They’re not supported by Sonos because of this kind of behaviour. I assume when your phone connects to it when you are in the room, that is the reason you can’t then connect to your Sonos system, though it surprises me to hear you can’t connect to the Sonos speakers in that room either. One option is to purchase an additional mesh node for the security camera and speakers there, to replace the extender. I assume you can buy them separately.

I would first try wiring one of your Sonos S2 devices (not the Sub) to the main Amplifi router, if that’s possible. Sonos will then create it’s own mesh network, repeated by each Sonos device, that has a good chance of spanning your home, though you may want to move your main WiFi off of channel 1 to get the best performance. Make sure to keep the wired device at least 1m from the router, and all Sonos devices 1m from the mesh nodes. This will not affect your S1 devices.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I think we were typing at the same time, but I took longer.

That is exactly what you need to do.

Badge

I will try it and let you know.  But that doesn't answer the path question, does it?  Also, will that solve the problem with the units being connected to the Netgear booster?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

The server name in the path has a much better chance of being resolved into the correct IP address if the dual DHCP issue is resolved. So this should fix it, yes.

It will not address any issues caused by the Netgear booster - if there are any. Dual DHCP can produce a such multitude of symptoms that it’s impossible for me to say at this point if the booster is an issue. So many models are, however, that we don’t support their use at all, but that’s not to say you’ll have issues. Wiring a single Sonos device to ethernet will prevent any others that are within range of the resulting mesh from connecting to the booster.

Badge

I am still having several issues.  Rooms are dropping and my Arc, which is connected to the TV by HDMI, is constantly dropping.

Badge

But you say that if I could hard wire my ARC in the Den, for example, that would solve the problem for the devices in the living room?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

I am still having several issues.  Rooms are dropping and my Arc, which is connected to the TV by HDMI, is constantly dropping.

Is that TV audio or a music service playing on the Arc that’s cutting out, or is the room dropping from the app? If it’s the TV audio, please unplug the TV from power for at least 2 minutes. Check the HDMI cable is properly seated too.

But you say that if I could hard wire my ARC in the Den, for example, that would solve the problem for the devices in the living room?

It’s hard to say for sure, but yes - it’s entirely likely. It would also help the Arc “dropping” issue if that’s related to the room dropping from the app, or if it’s music service audio dropping out.

Badge

OK, so I managed to get a hardwire into my Arc last night and everything seemed to work for an hour.  (The switching on the Arc was while watching TV, and sound was switching between Arc and TV speakers)

That is very good, but now I’m back to original problem, getting Sonos 2 to play from wireless hard drive.  Any ideas on next steps?  How can I get the right file path in there and see if that’s the problem or if it has to do with SMB issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

The TV switching between the Arc and it’s own speakers is likely one of two things:

1. The HDMI cable isn’t getting a good, solid connection. Are you using the supplied cable? If not, I recommend it. You could also try reversing the cable - put the TV end into the Arc and vice versa - as sometimes a better connection between the electrical contacts is made.
  2. What’s more likely, however, is a CEC conflict. CEC is a network that the TV sets up between HDMI devices. It’s not the strictest industry standard, unfortunately, and conflicts are not unheard-of. I recommend you disconnect all other HDMI devices, test, then reconnect the devices, one device at a time and testing each addition, until you find the device causing the conflict. If it has settings, disable CEC functions on it - they generally relate to power, volume and switching inputs. If it has no settings, you can get cheap “CEC-less HDMI adaptors” (I’ve quoted the search term you can use to find them) to put on one end of the HDMI cable connecting the problem device.

You should now be able to connect to the SMB share on S2 using the same path that the S1 system uses - assuming S1 still connects after the network changes? It should. I’ll presume you’ve tried this and still aren’t able to connect - please submit a support diagnostic after an attempt to add the share and reply here with the number given. Thanks.

Badge

The path shown on Sonos 1 is

Doesn’t look right

Badge

When I entered this, the app said “The computer MYBOOKLIVE refused to let the Sonos connect to it.”

That a new message.  Before it was connecting but not loading the music.

Badge

And now the address I used to use to access the hard drive doesn't work anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

You did reboot all the devices on the network after making the DHCP changes, I hope?

I recommend always using the PC app to adjust Music Library shares - it’s so much easier. Please open the Sonos app on your PC, click ‘Manage’, then ‘Music Library Settings’ and remove the existing shares there. Then click ‘Browse’ and find the NAS’s music folder by browsing the PC’s network folder. Repeat this on S1 if needed. There are of course separate PC apps for S1 and S2 - you can get them both here

If you don’t see the NAS share in Windows either, try rebooting the NAS again and checking it’s connection and configuration. If you are unable to even access the configuration page, where does the NAS’s ethernet cable attach?

If things still aren’t working, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it now reports about the process, but also to remotely connect to your PC and assist you directly - I think it will save you a lot of time and effort, and your network is now healthier so they should be in a better position to assist than they were before. I am somewhat limited in my ability to help simply because I have no option to connect and check everything for you.

I hope this helps.

Badge

manage settings is grayed out on the 2 app so I can;t do anything.  I updated the app, but still doesn;t let me open.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

The only reason I can think of for that happening is if the app is not up-to-date. Please check for updates on the PC app under Manage.

Badge

I did a diagnostics submission  111895238

Badge

I did that before I messaged you.  Will try again, close and open.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ctfeher 

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I’m suddenly unable to access diagnostics today, but no-one else seems to have the same problem. I’m trying to get it fixed, but you’ll probably be able to get assistance from the technical support team quicker than you can from me - it may take me days (well, IT).