Connecting Sonos with Wifi router that uses SIM Card

• 19 October 2023
  • 4 replies

We have to get our Internet from a cell tower via a T-Mobile Home Internet.  We just replaced our router and the router uses a SIM card.  Now we can’t connect our Amps via wifi like we use to.  Called tech support and they said you havre to buy a bridge.  Anyone have this problem and or solutions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’ve got T Mobile internet, I connected a BOOST to my T mobile tower, with zero issues. I’d assume that connecting the Sonos directly to the WiFi signal wouldn’t be any issue, it’s a standard signal, all of my other devices work normally. I’d think you could easily either connect up your Amp to the WiFi signal in the normal manner (connecting it temporarily to the router with an Ethernet cable to enter in the new WiFi data) or by permanently connecting it to the T Mobile tower. 

Userlevel 7

I’ve got T Mobile internet, I connected a BOOST to my T mobile tower, with zero issues. I’d assume that connecting the Sonos directly to the WiFi signal wouldn’t be any issue, it’s a standard signal, all of my other devices work normally. I’d think you could easily either connect up your Amp to the WiFi signal in the normal manner (connecting it temporarily to the router with an Ethernet cable to enter in the new WiFi data) or by permanently connecting it to the T Mobile tower. 

Not to hijack this thread but I’ve often wondered about ISP’s like T-Mobile and Xfinity. Could you elaborate on how they work in a thread of your own creation. My questions are about establishing a wired connection or are they always wireless? If always wireless how do they connect ( I assume 5G)?  What are pros and cons of said services. Thanks in advance.

Umm… hard to start a new thread, I don’t have any experience to compare the two. T-mobile provides a box with a couple of Ethernet jacks, acts as a modem, a  router and a tiny switch, just like a standard WiFi appliance. 

I’ve also had success in connecting a Sonos system wirelessly to a StarLink system, with no ‘wired’ connection, since their router doesn’t provide any Ethernet ports. But I set up the WiFi SSID as the same as the other location I use, and the speakers connected just fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I used to have a MiFi system in my vacation home in Mexico: antenna on roof pointed at ISP tower a mile or two away. This was connected to an ISP router that turned that into Ethernet and WiFi on the local network.

I used my own router connected to this, Sonos worked fine via its WiFi.

Terrible system (~3Mbps, birds flying in the way would cause disconnections that lasted 10 seconds or more) but better than nothing, very happy when it was replaced with a fiber connection (to the same ISP tower location).