Connecting MAC Catalina Sonos to Synology via AFP Protocol

• 28 March 2020
  • 5 replies

I want to connect Sonos to my music library on my Synology system implementing the AFP protocol but when I try to configure my Sonos to connect to my music share it states that Synology refuses the connection.

However, if I configure the Synology to implement the SMB1 then Sonos can connect. Will Sonos only use SMB1 and not AFP please? I want to use the AFP protocol if at all possible with this being native to the MAC and more stable for general remote access.

My version of OSX is Catalina 10.15.4

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So, the issue here is that the Mac is not a factor in the conversation at all.  The controller, which may run on the Mac, on Windows, on a phone or on a tablet, tells the speaker or Player to play a song.  The controller then is out of the picture and takes no part in the conversation between the speaker and the Synology NAS.  That’s why it’s using SMB1 instead of AFP.  

So, the issue here is that the Mac is not a factor in the conversation at all.  The controller, which may run on the Mac, on Windows, on a phone or on a tablet, tells the speaker or Player to play a song.  The controller then is out of the picture and takes no part in the conversation between the speaker and the Synology NAS.  That’s why it’s using SMB1 instead of AFP.  

So the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol is pretty much a generic common file system protocol whereas AFP (Apple File Protocol) is native to Apple and therefore the Mac. This being said, my query is definitely about the Mac protocol as this is the native file protocol and definitely more stable than SMB version1, the version that Sonos seems to rely upon.

Are you saying that Sonos does not integrate with the Apple protocol (AFP) and therefore cannot implement it for interfacing between a Synology Controller on a Mac to a Synology music share?

With regards to why it may implement SMB1...yes it will need to use this protocol for Windows but it is definitely possible that it could also implement AFP for the MAC to interface with a Synology share implementing AFP to natively integrate with a MAC.

I think you’re misunderstanding the way that Sonos works. The application that runs on your Mac does not actually play music. All it does is act as a front end/remote control to reach out to the speakers, and tell the application running on the speakers where to get the data from. So, in your case, the application running on the speakers is told to reach out to the NAS to find the data. Your Mac is actually not in the loop at all. After the speaker grabs the data directly from the NAS, the speaker then reports back to the controller app running on your Mac/PC/mobile device and tells it what it is playing.

Because the Linux kernel running on the speakers right now is so old, and space is unavailable to update it right now (but we hope will change in the upcoming legacy/modern split), it is restricted to SMB v1 to reach out and get the music from your NAS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The Sonos reaches out to the Synology share for the music, not to the Mac.  If the Synology is sharing using AFP instead of SMB1, it can’t read it.  At this time, the only share protocols the speakers recognize are SMB1 and their own HTTPS sharing protocol.

And as far as AFP vs SMB being “native” to Mac, since about Mountain Lion SMB has been the default share protocol Mac OS uses.  AFP is still available, and was the original share protocol for the Mac ecosystem, but Apple saw the writing on the wall and wrote their own SMB stack for Mountain Lion, and all of my Macs since then default to SMB shares.  For better or for worse, SMB is the de facto file sharing standard today for all three major operating systems.  Even on the iPad/iPhone, the heart of Apple’s new ecosystem, when they implemented the ability to access file shares natively, they only implemented SMB, not AFP.

This may be the same sort of issue.. Not sure.. Im trying to get Sonos Controller 11.1 to share info from a new iMac running 10.15.4 . Sonos 1 and 3 speakers. I used the path  //myname[hyphen]imac/users/myname/music/media and I get the message.  -imac refused let the Sonos product connect to it..Firewall is off, music and media permission is shared 

Eero router.

Oh yeah, playback was skipping too even on radio channels and Spotify,, etc..