Question

Connect:Amp + RCA Victor Record Console

• 6 February 2018
  • 12 replies

I have an old RCA Victor Record Console with a record player, AM/FM Stereo and integrated speakers. Several years ago I added an input to allow it to play music from my iPod. Now I want to know if I can somehow connect it to my Sonos Connect:Amp and allow me to listen to records on the integrated speakers and the speakers connected to my Connect:Amp. Has anyone successfully done this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If there is no output for a tape recorder or headphone output then you would have to build a circuit to pad audio pulled from the speaker and feed that to a Connect. Not impossible but also not something to attempt unless you are proficient with electronic circuits and audio interfaces.
If there is no output for a tape recorder or headphone output then you would have to build a circuit to pad audio pulled from the speaker and feed that to a Connect. Not impossible but also not something to attempt unless you are proficient with electronic circuits and audio interfaces.
You mean feed that to a Connect Amp? And isn't there a converter of some kind that can be added between wires running from the speaker terminals of the RCA to the line in jacks of the Connect Amp, that bring down the voltage to the required line level? If yes, can a similar set up also be used to connect the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp to the input socket available for the iPod?
I have located what looks like an output for external speakers. The record player output is routed into some type of converter box - from there speaker wire goes into the pictured device and then out to a set of L and R speakers that are built into the cabinet. I added a photo of the external speaker device and a photo of the tape input. Any thoughts?

You mean feed that to a Connect Amp? And isn't there a converter of some kind that can be added between wires running from the speaker terminals of the RCA to the line in jacks of the Connect Amp, that bring down the voltage to the required line level? If yes, can a similar set up also be used to connect the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp to the input socket available for the iPod?
That could be done with an appropriate interface or home brew circuit. People do similar hacks to add a headphone output as well but it is not the ideal way to accomplish this and I don't encourage it unless you are confident you know what you are doing. The Connect Amp is an expensive thing to ruin if you put the wrong load on the speaker output.
I would not recommend a hack either; but I remember reading here about recommendations of an off the shelf device that can be used to wire speaker terminals of the Connect Amp safely to any line in level audio input jacks. That is the route I am referring to; would using such a device in the signal path be unsafe to kit at either end?
Like this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RVTYxC3U9rV/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html
Why they haven't put it in a box is a mystery, but is this unsafe to audio kit it is used with?
I have located what looks like an output for external speakers. The record player output is routed into some type of converter box - from there speaker wire goes into the pictured device and then out to a set of L and R speakers that are built into the cabinet. I added a photo of the external speaker device and a photo of the tape input. Any thoughts?

I don't think there is a plug and play solution for you here. The speaker plugs imply any extension speakers are connected in series. I would not remove them for fear of damaging the amplifier. The picture does not show the cable that connects the preamp section where the tape and tuner are plugged in to the amplifier section so there is no way to know if that is an option. I suspect that cable also includes the power wires for the preamp so I doubt if it is something you can utilize. Maybe you could put a pair of resistors across the speaker to create a voltage divider that provides an output signal without significantly changing the impedance seen by the amplifier but I would consult a more technical resource than me to see if this would be a feasible approach.
I would not recommend a hack either; but I remember reading here about recommendations of an off the shelf device that can be used to wire speaker terminals of the Connect Amp safely to any line in level audio input jacks. That is the route I am referring to; would using such a device in the signal path be unsafe to kit at either end?
Like this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RVTYxC3U9rV/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html
Why they haven't put it in a box is a mystery, but is this unsafe to audio kit it is used with?
Yes that is simply a voltage divider circuit that goes across the speaker terminals to pull off a signal without significantly changing the load seen by the amp. The Russound module is in a form factor specifically designed to attach to on of their products I suspect. You can find similar circuits built into cables commonly used in the Car stereo industry as a way to interface legacy car radios with no aux outputs to upgrade car amplifiers.

Generally safe with solid state amplifiers that do not care if the speaker impedance goes high and are only unhappy if it goes too low. I would not use one with a tube amp without consulting an expert.
What you want is a Connect into the Tape Input jacks, not a Connect:Amp.
That would have to be in addition to the Connect Amp that has speakers wired to it that are needed to be heard as well.
That would have to be in addition to the Connect Amp that has speakers wired to it that are needed to be heard as well.

The way to do that is with a Connect plus small audio triggered amp. Functionally the same as a Connect Amp but gives you the ability split the line out from the Connect to feed both the amp and the line in on the ipod. (Do ipods even have a line in? If so what is it used for?)
Yes, but the OP has a Connect Amp at home already that he would like to use to achieve his objective. And no, the iPod does not have a line in, and the OP isn't asking for what it may provide even if it had one.
Yes, but the OP has a Connect Amp at home already that he would like to use to achieve his objective. And no, the iPod does not have a line in, and the OP isn't asking for what it may provide even if it had one.

Sorry I thought you had asked for a connection to the input socket of an ipod but upon rereading I guess you meant an input socket on the RCA that was being used by an ipod. Totally my mistake.