Combining SONOS w/ Amazon Echo for Multi-Room Audio

• 17 May 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
So I’m sorry if this has been posted but I searched and only found complaints that it didn’t work but I got it to work on accident so here you go...

I managed to create multi-room audio by combining my SONOS speakers with Amazon Echo devices. Yes they play the same thing simultaneously & is voice activated. Although there is a SLIGHT delay with the Echo devices.

I have an Echo Dot “Echo 1” AUX out to RCA in on SONOS:CONNECT.
CONNECT optical out to a Sony 7.1 Receiver.

Via Alexa app, I created a multi-room music group with “Echo 1” & the Echo in my kid’s playhouse “Echo 2” & I think I named it like Basement just to test it.

Then I made sure “Line In” was on in Garage and grouped my Garage CONNECT with all other SONOS rooms.

Walked into my garage & said “Alexa, play _____
in the Basement”

BAM. Playing on all my SONOS & the kid’s Echo in playhouse.

My in depth home setup is below.

My Setup:
• living room • 5.1
- Hardwired PLAYBAR wired to SUB w/ (2) PLAY:1’s

• garage •
- CONNECT optical out to Sony Receiver 7.1
- Echo Dot AUX out to CONNECT

• kid’s playhouse • in backyard
- Echo Dot

• guest bathroom •
- Echo Dot

• all other bedrooms •
- ONE or PLAY:1
- Echo or Echo Show

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Are all the Sonos fully Alexa functional? For example, phone calls, drop in , etc.
Badge
:? ???
Badge
Are all the Sonos fully Alexa functional? For example, phone calls, drop in , etc.Didn’t get that far lol. I’ll drop in to my garage from my bedroom in the morning. I kinda hope not cause if I drop in from my bedroom show to my garage & the garage is grouped with the play 1 in my bedroom, I’d hear myself talk 😕
Badge
I’m kinda trippin out that it’s working especially cause I told her to play a Sirius XM channel & now Echo Services AND Sonos services are playing the same Sirius account simultaneously. If I had Sonos playing then opened Sirius app on my phone & tried, one would drop.
Hi, can you group the Sonos Ones with the Echos in the Alexa app as well? Thanks
All you did was use the Line-In and group the rooms? That's not anything special, people have been doing that since the Echo Dot was released.
Hi, can you group the Sonos Ones with the Echos in the Alexa app as well? Thanks

No, that is not supported.
Badge
Hi, can you group the Sonos Ones with the Echos in the Alexa app as well? Thanks unfortunately not yet. That’s gotta be worked out between the two higher powers. Irks me that it doesn’t work though 😕
Badge
All you did was use the Line-In and group the rooms? That's not anything special, people have been doing that since the Echo Dot was released. it never worked for me before. I was able to use SONOS remote (phone) and/or Alexa app or voice to control playback also. Usually it was one or the other. Or it would spaz out because like with Sirius, you can only stream from one device at a time. Like the first paragraph of my post says... “sorry if this is already posted”. I tried looking for anyone who had posted something else about it.