can Sonos be connected via POE (Power Over Ethernet)

• 5 October 2017
  • 6 replies

I was wondering if a Sonos system can be provided with power by using POE. If not, are there any plans to integrate this in future releases?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I doubt it anytime soon. Current limits on POE are 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA) on each port. Only 12.95 is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable. Not sure of the actual power needs of the Play:1, but seeing it draws 3.4 watts when idle, when fully powered I would assume it is over the 12.95 W limitation of POE. Of course, the Play:3, 5, Connect:Amp, etc. draw much more, and the Connect is usually connected where there is ample power for amps or receivers.

Now if POE Max ever gets to be standard, we may see it. But who knows.
Please don't construe this as a solicitation. I am a Sonos user and find this community a valuable tool to get the most out of my Sonos system, so i don't want to jeopardize my membership in the community by posting this. I work in PoE and wanted to share.

PoE has come a long way in the last few years. We regularly power devices that require 60W and we offer a 90W single port injector. If Sonos would be interested in testing our High Power injectors, we would be happy to provide a demo unit.

Here is a link into our blog that explains the details of the new PoE protocols that offer higher power:
https://planetechusa.com/blog/discover-our-full-suite-of-802-3bt-ultra-poe-60w-products/
Not sure that you're reaching the right audience by posting that here in these boards, but who knows? 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
PoE+ is already a big improvement over regular PoE... however, Sonos has pretty much designed their devices around regular home users, and I would imagine that out of Sonos customers less than 1% have PoE, and fewer have PoE+.

While I'm a networking type and would love to see Sonos (and other things, like these various "smart device hubs") work over PoE to get rid of cords and power bricks, I just don't see it happening here.
I doubt it anytime soon. Current limits on POE are 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA) on each port. Only 12.95 is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable. Not sure of the actual power needs of the Play:1, but seeing it draws 3.4 watts when idle, when fully powered I would assume it is over the 12.95 W limitation of POE. Of course, the Play:3, 5, Connect:Amp, etc. draw much more, and the Connect is usually connected where there is ample power for amps or receivers.

Now if POE Max ever gets to be standard, we may see it. But who knows.

This is not completely true. The original PoE standard was 15.4W but newer standards PoE+ and uPoE support 30 & 60 W. I was talking with my Cisco rep the other day and they're already working on 100 W

I have about 2000 access points using 50W per AP with the security modules in my network at work.
Yes, you can run the Play 1 using PoE+, but it requires modifying your Play 1. Please see the earlier thread under:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/poe-version-of-the-play-1-power-over-ethernet-6464723