Answered

Can I connect both an HDMI input device and the Beam (via ARC) to one HDMI-input on TV?

Hey guys,

i have an older Philipps TV, a Cable Box, AppleTV and a PS3. The TV has three HDMI inputs 1 (with ARC), 2 and side. So far, after installing my Beam on hdmi 1, AppleTV on hdmi 2 and the Cable Box to side, my setup works as expected with the Beam delivering audio via ARC from the currently playing device (I.e. AppleTV or cable box). However in this setup, I have to plug the PS3 (serving mostly as Blue-Ray player) into hdmi side instead of the cable box, when I use it, and plug the cable box back after use, which is tedious (wall mounted TV) and the kids often forget after playing, so my wife complains the TV is broken, when hatching her shows. :-/

Thus, I was thinking, if there is a splitter or other device, so that I can plug the PS3 back into hdmi 1 (Video and Audio in), but have the arc signal passed to the beam?

thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 May 2022, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Get an HDMI switch like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-GANA-Bidirectional-Supports-Passthrough-HDMI/dp/B07K2NZX8L

Here’s another one with a remote:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Switcher-Splitter-Compatible-Projector/dp/B0865JJLHD

I was aware that there are switches… my question was related to the technical ability to “split” the A/V-in and the ARC-out signals.

I was aware that there are switches… my question was related to the technical ability to “split” the A/V-in and the ARC-out signals.

Not exactly how you describe it, but yes, something like that is possible. A HD Fury Arcana can accomplish what you’re asking for.  It’s typically used with an HDMI switch (and there are options with the switch built in) so all that all sources go through the Arcana, but because Arcana can also accept ARC audio from the TV (and thus TV apps or other HDMI connected sources) you wouldn’t really have to do that.  Arcana isn’t cheap though, so I don’t think this is necessarily the best option in all cases.

Another thing to consider is using the optical audio output from your TV instead of HDMI-ARC.  This would free up the HDMI 1 port for use with the PS3, but you would be limiting your audio to dolby 5.1 audio...no atmos.  Maybe this isn’t a concern if your Beam is Gen 1 (no atmos) or you just don’t care about atmos.

And of course, there’s the HDMI switch option that’s already been suggested.

Lastly, if you’re willing to spend the $250 for Arcana, then perhaps it’s worth considering upgrading your TV as most modern TVs have 4 HDMI ports these days and may have a better picture quality than what you have now.  I’ve been able to find good TVs for around $300 around 50 in, if I catch the right sale.