Answered

Building new home- wired vs. wireless Sonos?

• 28 January 2018
  • 12 replies

1) I'm currently building a new house and play on having two TVs each with its own Playbar and two Play 1 or Play 3 speakers, then a Connect Amp wired to outdoor speakers. I have the ability (now) to wire any or all of these devices via Ethernet back to their own Ethernet switches and ultimately the router. Based on what I've read, the BOOST configuration is generally superior to regular WiFi, in which case I will plan on wiring at least one device via Ethernet to create a BOOST network. Is there a benefit in connecting more than one, or ALL of the Sonos devices via hard-wired Ethernet vs a single device?
icon

Best answer by Chris 28 January 2018, 03:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Depends really on distance. I would say best case is to never have any unit more than 30ft from another. If you have a longer span between units then possible wiring the further unit would help. Some routers though can have issues with more then one hooked to router (stop issues) but that is rare.
Thanks Chris, the SONOS devices will be in two "clusters"- a Playbar and two Play speakers in one cluster (within 25 feet of each other), and a second cluster consisting of a Playbar, two Play Speakers, and a CONNECT:AMP within 30 feet of each other; the two clusters will be separated by around 70 feet between the closest of each device type- perhaps the plan should be to wire at least one device of each "cluster", or I could wire them all if that's better....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If I personally were building a house I may have thought about wiring every Sonos and actually turning the WiFi off. But that would require an Ethernet port at every possible Sonos location which would probably be excessive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea that is what I would do. Have the playbar of each cluster wired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What I see missing in the setup is Sonos sub. Don’t discount the effectiveness of the sub. I consider more important then than rear speakers in 5.1 setup.
Great advice Chris, and much appreciated! I'll make sure each Playbar is wired and leave some Ethernet cables coiled up in the wall behind each speaker in case there are issues in the future. I love subwoofers but hadn't really thought of them here, just because the spaces are so wide open and there is no place to hide subs, yet (and the wife would object), but I'll see if I can't find a decorative end table or something that I can sneak one into that would be wife approved....
Remember speaker cable runs as well at this time - for outdoor speakers so that the Connect Amp needed can be kept indoors. And for any ceiling speakers planned.
Just done this in my self build.
Data points everywhere, if you um or are about it stick some date there. Best place I put it was in the loft, have my HUE, VERA and AP's up there and CAT6 from all of the TVs running a micro pc running through a matrix to display our CCTV.
Should have put some data either side of our bed so I could have had a desk phone there.

Also worth using a POE switch, my HUE & VERA have one network connection that delivers the power and data with one neat solution.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I installed CAT5E network cable in every room in my house when it was being built. I know wireless is how everyone wants to connect but there will always be speed and distance issues. Having a wired backbone will help you to eliminate them.

I still have about four wireless only SONOS components but due to the wired backbone I am experiencing no major issues..

I would recommend that you install at least CAT5E or CAT6 cable at this time.
I am completely remodeling my home and have gotten a bid from a wiring guy who is pushing sonos with wired speakers. I'm thinking with the walls open, I am better off just putting some sonos speakers mounted high on the wall (I can have outlets added easily now) and then just have wired speakers for outdoors. Any reason not to do this? The installer says the wired speakers will provide better sound. That does not seem worth it to me to buy a $500 Sonos AMP for each zone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
It depends on your personal preference. I have a mixture of SONOS Amps, Play 5, Playbase and Soundbar. The wife prefers the Play 5's in the smaller bedrooms and her office. We have the separate speakers and amp in my office, master bedroom and the formal dining room. The living room has the Soundbar and the Playbase is in the guest bedroom. Planning on adding some outdoor speakers and a smaller Play in the kitchen in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can buy a Connect (No Amp) and use it with a multi-zone external amp, you might find that a better solution. If you want different music in different zones then you'd need multiple Connects.

The sound of built in speakers can really vary so I'd insist on a listening test and compare that to the Sonos sound before deciding on which way to go. Also for built-in systems making sure they are not going to be hard to replace if the original becomes unavailable is important unless you like paying carpenters and painters.