Skip to main content
Question

Brand new Ray can't update, required to use

Bought a brand new Ray, cannot get past message saying update required to use. When I press continue I just get home screen where Ray is not showing. This is the second speaker from the shop, same issue with first unit. The shop also could not get it to connect. Fist time SONOS customer, extremely disappointed and frustrated with set up difficulty. Can this be resolved somehow? I've factory reset, rebooted router, tried setup on 3 other routers in different houses. Same continous problem. HELP!! Thank you 😊 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Have you tried using an Ethernet cable to connect the Ray directly to your router? If that fixes the issue, consider making that connection permanent.

Thank you pools3015 - I have it connected now via ethernet. Still getting the software update required before use error. I see the question pages here are littered with complaints about the latest app version. Installed version 16.1 via APK but it isn't compatible with my android version (up to date). Forcing me into downloading or updating the latest version app across all my devices. Looks like it's the app and not the device itself which is total madness. It is connected to wifi but will not pass the software update screen and will not appear on the home page for system setup. Hugely frustrating 😧😧😧

I cannot agree more!  I just purchased a Ray and I have reset everything and keep getting the error 1000!  On top of that it renders the rest of the system useless, as I was ADDING a Ray to an existing system that worked fine, but now once I have added the RAY the APP automatically takes you to the update page and that is in a continual loop if you need an update, update failed, you need an update update failed.  So the whole system is bricked.  To add to it, I would have to wait for an 1.5 hours on support to get help on this, closed Saturdays when I have time…  

You really need to fix this Sonos!!!!

Samen kind of problem here, brand new Ray doesn’t connect or work, error 1.101. Can’t reach server, not through WiFi, not via Ethernet straight to the router. My previous cheap Ikea Symfonisk didn’t have this kind of problem. Please fix your amateur shit software before releasing it to the public!!! Such a frustrating and disappointing experience Sonos!

You may nave better luck if you use a desktop controller.

I even tried setting it up using an old android phone which didn't have the latest update to see if it would work with the previous app version. Nothing worked, the Ray will only connect to app version 2. The replacement Ray also was returned to the store - I mentioned to the store that the internet was littered with complaints about the app and suggested these products shouldn't currently be on sale as they are not fit for purpose. In fact, the Windows app I installed on my laptop to try to set it up that way now can't be removed! You couldn't make up this circus stuff. I won't ever buy another Sonos product after this introduction to how they do business. I bought a Samsung soundbar around the same price that afternoon, which actually turned out to have a higher specification and was set up in 3.5 mins. I'm thrilled with it and will swerve the Sonos aisle forever more. I don't see them lasting in business too long more - this would never happen with the reliable brands. 

Same problem with me, I will be returning it back to the store tomorrow.

Same with me. 

App 80.02.07

The app is a absolute crime scene.

Beam, pro SLs and Symonfisk connect / update well  to my existing system

The Ray, goes through the setup, tries to add to system and flags a 1002 error.. 

Force quit the app, start again, app goes into a update loop flagging error 1000 (unassigned room).

Rebooted everything no change.

Created new account for new system, no change

If I then sign out and then try and connect to my system, it has created two.. one with beam etc and another network with the Ray .

Tried to use the chat function at the weekend, slow.

Same issue here, just bought and won't update

I've just worked out a fix for this. After returning the first Ray thinking it was faulty we tried for 4 hours to get the Ray on connected to our current sonos system.  

This is how we fixed the issue. 

1) Factory reset the Ray by unplugged the Ray and the plugged it in and pressed and held the button on the back of the Ray.

2) installed the Ray using the mobile app

3) did the updates using the windows desktop app (this is the key to stop the mobile update from failing) 

4) continued the rest of the process on the mobile app.

5) Once all this is done you can then connect it to the TV

Hope this works for you all too.

Hi, bought a Ray and having similar issues regarding 1002 error message, how do you use windows to connect to the Ray? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi, bought a Ray and having similar issues regarding 1002 error message, how do you use windows to connect to the Ray? 

Download the Windows desktop app from the Sonos website (it will be the first Google result), and install it on your laptop. Updating your system from that app should sort your 1002 error. 

This is the page https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads either download the Windows app or MacOS. Please do not use the Web-app as this has only the basic controls.