Answered

Biground eARC HDMI Audio Extractor and Sonos ARC

Hello everyone.

I have an older Samsung plasma television that has one A.R.C. output I'm trying to find an option that allows me to plug into the Sonos arc.  I know a lot of the audio extractors don't work with the sonos arc but I'm looking at the Biground eARC HDMI audio extractor.  I can't find any good information about this thing. It looks like it'll work if input 2 will output a video signal but it looks output 2 only does audio that wouldn't work as only input 1 does eARC and needs to go to the Sonos unit.  

If anybody has used this extractor let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks

~Rob

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 25 May 2022, 23:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Why do you need an audio extractor? The Sonos Arc only requires one HDMI ARC port to connect to a TV.

If you use external media devices and want the highest quality audio from the Arc, consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. It allows any external media device to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc.

I’m not following exactly what you’re trying to accomplish. If your TV has an HDMI ARC port, you should be able to connect the Arc and be done.  You only need on HDMI ARC port, and never seen a TV with more than one.  Are you trying to get better audio quality?  Don’t have enough HDMI ports on your TV?

That said, I took a look at the extractor and it seems it’s main function is to take an HDMI-ARC signal and convert to normal HDMI audio….which isn’t at all useful with the Sonos Arc.

The most common accessory used with the Arc is the HD Fury Arcana.  But again, can’t say it will solve your problem as I don’t know what your issue is.

Sorry guess I wasn't to clear on that. The arc hdmi on the TV is going to the Firetv. So the optical adapter is being used to feed the sonos arc via the optical converter but that scales the audio down to stereo. My thought is to connect the firetv to the biground, output 1 being earc goes to sonos, output 2  goes to the tv.

You  can't connect firetv to a different hdmi input?

Userlevel 7

Sorry guess I wasn't to clear on that. The arc hdmi on the TV is going to the Firetv. So the optical adapter is being used to feed the sonos arc via the optical converter but that scales the audio down to stereo. My thought is to connect the firetv to the biground, output 1 being earc goes to sonos, output to goes to the tv.

I would be surprised if the Biground works like you want it to, but according to the product page, the Fire TV should connect to the HDMI input, the TV connects to Out 1, and the Arc connects to Out 2. But when you use the input port of the Biground, the ARC function will not work. See diagrams below:

When I did it wasn't passing a signal through to the arc. And input 1 is definitely an arc it says it right on it. 

Here's a thought. Maybe the HDMI cables I was using weren't v2.1 would that prevent the arc signal from going to the sonos?

Userlevel 7

@Rob M1976 What model TV do you have? Are you using any other device other than the Fire TV and Sonos Arc?

@Rob M1976 What model TV do you have? Are you using any other device other than the Fire TV and Sonos Arc?

Its a Panasonic model # - TC-P58VT25. Nothing else is connected to it.

Userlevel 7

Its a Panasonic model # - Tc-P58VT25. Nothing else is connected to it.

1. Disconnect everything from your TV.
  2. In the TV settings, make sure VIERA Link is set to ON and Default Speakers is set to THEATER.
  3. Run TV SETUP in the Sonos app under the Arc’s settings and follow the app instructions.
  4. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port (HDMI 1) on the TV using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable.
  5. When the Arc has been successfully connected to the TV, connect the Fire TV to the TV’s HDMI 2 port.
  6. In the TV settings, make sure the Advanced Audio settings for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 are set to DIGITAL.

NOTE: Because you have an older TV, there is a good chance you will not be able to get 5.1 audio from the Fire TV to pass through to the Sonos Arc. This is where the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter will help. I use the Arcana with my old Panasonic plasma from 2013 and my Sonos Arc and it works great.

Read more about the Arcana here:

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

There isn't any chance whatsoever of a 10 year old Panasonic passing multichannel audio from an HDMI input like a Fire TV.

As others have said, you will need something like the Arcana to get surround sound. 

Thank you!! Soon as i get a chance I will try that!

When I did it wasn't passing a signal through to the arc. And input 1 is definitely an arc it says it right on it. 

Not sure if this clear or not, but  ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. Only a speaker/amp/receiver that is compatible with ARC, can receive audio through the specific channels in the ARC specification, need to be connected to the TVs  HDMI-ARC port.  Your firetv does not use ARC.  It will send audio and video through the normal HDMU channels to your TV, which is then supposed to pass the audio on to whatever device is connected to the HDMI-ARC  port.  If your TV is working as it should, the audio should go from firetv → TV HDMI port 2 → TV HDMI-ARC port 1 → Sonos Arc.

But as pointed out, your TV is older, may not be working properly for ARc audio, and  unlikely to be passing on the best audio quality your fireTV can deliver, and Sonos ARC can play.  An Arcana is a good solution.

Its a Panasonic model # - Tc-P58VT25. Nothing else is connected to it.

1. Disconnect everything from your TV.
  2. In the TV settings, make sure VIERA Link is set to ON and Default Speakers is set to THEATER.
  3. Run TV SETUP in the Sonos app under the Arc’s settings and follow the app instructions.
  4. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port (HDMI 1) on the TV using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable.
  5. When the Arc has been successfully connected to the TV, connect the Fire TV to the TV’s HDMI 2 port.
  6. In the TV settings, make sure the Advanced Audio settings for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 are set to DIGITAL.

NOTE: Because you have an older TV, there is a good chance you will not be able to get 5.1 audio from the Fire TV to pass through to the Sonos Arc. This is where the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter will help. I use the Arcana with my old Panasonic plasma from 2013 and my Sonos Arc and it works great.

Read more about the Arcana here:

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I followed exactly what you posted and it worked. The app shows I'm getting stereo PCM but I think that's just from the age of the TV. I'm not going to stress about it as I'm looking to upgrade to a QD-OLED TV pretty soon anyway but good to know it works as intended. Thanks for all the help guys!! 

I just hooked up the HD Arcana. I have HDR turned off as I've had my TV calibrated and don't need that. I'm seeing Mhz settings under the setting for 1080P. What should that be set at?

Userlevel 7

I just hooked up the HD Arcana. I have HDR turned off as I've had my TV calibrated and don't need that. I'm seeing Mhz settings under the setting for 1080P. What should that be set at?

I believe the MHz depends on your source. I have a Panasonic plasma and I get 148MHz when using my Roku Ultra and Apple TV 4K. I get 223MHz when using my Blu-ray player. I keep the Scaler setting on the Arcana to No Scaling.