Answered

Audio interface connection

• 3 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi!

I am currently spec’ing out a wireless system that meets some slightly odd standards and curious if Sonos can meet these needs. I am working with spatialized audio that is not packaged in the standard formats and is sent via separate outputs.

I am looking to send 8-16 induvial mono outputs from an audio interface to corresponding Sonos speakers. 

In short.. is there a way to send multiple inputs to a Sonos system? Or is there a route that would enable me to use a Sonos system in this way?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 August 2023, 22:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No, not really. Certainly not an integrated setup. You could go super convoluted and send a mono line in to each device, but the system isn’t really designed, for that kind of use case and it would be incredibly hard to do. I’d look for a fully integrated system that can handle this type of thing.

With separate single-channel feeds to multiple Sonos Line-Ins there’d be no explicit timing coherence between the various speakers. 

Yes,  I am in need of them being reliably synced with each other. 

Was hoping there was a way to use them as a system but feed them multiple channels for distribution. Thank you for your responses!  

Sorry, it’s just not designed for that type of use case. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Where your requirements are already relatively complex you would want to avoid the hassle of trying to send signals over a wireless connection, esp. if you want reliability and keep the signals ‘in sync’.

If this is for a pro installation you could look at a solution which utilises Dante if running CAT cables was simpler than multiple Loudspeaker cables.

With WiFi transmission there will always be some delivery time uncertainty due to dynamic network conditions. Even if this uncertainty is only a couple milliseconds, this will cause some ‘swim’ in your multidimensional sound image.

With SONOS stereo pairs and Grouped players there can be 2ms of uncertainty that will sometimes drive me crazy — depending on the content, my exact location, and how closely I’m paying attention.

There are two dimensions to this uncertainty. A simple static offset would be equivalent to the listener moving to a different location. Sound travels at about one foot per millisecond. Humans are used to dealing with this. Your head is constantly moving and this helps you localize sounds. A couple feet of displacement is not much of an issue unless you are very close to a speaker. Randomly, constantly moving speakers with respect to each other in a multi-dimensional setup is problematic.