Answered

Anthem MRX 740 with Sonos Port different zones

• 26 July 2021
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

Allright… looking to upgrade my system at home and was wondering if this setup would work.

I am looking to get the Anthem MRX 740 receiver. I read this on it’s specs: “Channel reasignment: MRX Series Receiver channels can be assigned in many ways. Unused amplifier channels can be re-assigned to Bi-Amplify demanding front speakers, power surrounds, presence speakers, or a second zone”

Would it then be possible to set up this receiver with a Sonos port and then three zones:

1. primary zone set up with 5+1 speakers
  1. secondary zone with one of the left-over outputs reassigned to a single stereo speaker in the bathroom
  1. third zone with the last output reassigned to a single stereo speaker in the office

Would I be able to control output for the different zones from the sonos app? My guess is that it’s a no but figured I would ask if there’s any chance of getting it to work. This way I would avoid getting a sonos amp as well. Otherwise that would be the other solution, connecting the single stereo speakers to a sonos amp and my living room receiver to a port. But this would mean one more device and I would rather have my receiver drive all my speakers :) 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 July 2021, 00:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

i suspect your Receiver may allow for the ‘Zones’ you have suggested in your post and the `Sonos Port’ will be able to play stereo Sonos audio sources (i.e. Sonos Radio/Spotify/Deezer/Apple Music etc.) to each of those zones via its coax Digital output or its RCA Analog line-out, but you will not be able to control the audio to the zones at all from the Sonos S1/S2 controller software (other than ‘perhaps’ adjusting volume/EQ levels). Any switching of the Sonos audio-in to the various zones will need to be done using the Anthem Receiver controls.

You can also setup the (various) Receiver audio sources (eg. CD, Tuner, TV audio etc.) to output to the Sonos Port (via RCA Analog line-in) for playing that audio on any/all Sonos products around the Home.

Thanks for the reply Ken!

That was what I suspected. Then I will continue on the same route as before. A Sonos Amp for the two stand-alone rooms / speakers. And then my receiver/living room to a port so the complete system can be controlled through the sonos app with different 

Thanks for the reply Ken!

That was what I suspected. Then I will continue on the same route as before. A Sonos Amp for the two stand-alone rooms / speakers. And then my receiver/living room to a port so the complete system can be controlled through the sonos app with different 

Note when using a single Sonos Amp to feed two rooms that they are treated as one room for playback control and volume adjustment etc. So you can only play/control the same audio in both areas.

The Sonos Port is a separate entity, so that can play the same, or different, audio sources alongside the Amp and can be controlled independently or ‘grouped’ together with the Amp for multi-room playback/control/volume adjustment etc. So think of the room control as being on a ‘per Sonos device’ basis even though the Amp may feed two rooms in your home.

Hope that assists you further.