Answered

Android Controller not finding Sonos network when using Velop

• 29 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 9 replies
Background:
My Sonos network consists of of 6 rooms and 13 players. My Playbar is connected to my home wired network with an Ethernet cable. The remaining players are all connected via the Sonos mesh network. All 13 players are on network 192.168.128.0. My Sonos system works great. My computers are also on the 192.168.128.0 network and the conputer-based Sonos controller finds my Sonos network without issue.

Recently I set up a new Lynksys Velop wireless mesh network. The Velop primary node is also connected to the 192.168.128.0 network with an Ethernet cable. The Velop wireless network is network 192.168.1.0. My portable devices all connect to the new Velop wireless network also without issue. The problem is that when I try to run the Sonos controller from my Android phone, it does not find my Sonos network. Well I'm pretty sure it's because the Sonos network is on 192.168.128.0 and my Android controller is on 192.168.1.0 and I understand that the Controller must be on the same network as the Sonos players. Further confirmation is that when temporarily switching my phone over to my old wireless network, the Android Sonos controller does find my Sonos network. In my old wireless network, my android phone would reside on the same 192.168.128.0 network along with all my players and it all works like it should.

Question:
Is there any way for the Android Controller to work given the setup described above? Meaning all Sonos players on the 192.168.128.0 network; the Velop primary node on the 192.168.128.0 network; and my Android controller connecting to the Velop mesh network with an IP address of 192.168.1.x.
icon

Best answer by w6hr 30 October 2017, 05:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Sounds like you are adding velop to your existing router, but run it in router mode introducing dual NAT for all your wireless devices.

You want to run it in bride mode instead, see https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=243548

Do note that some features will be unavailable in bridge mode, if you need those you probably need to move everything else (wired) into your velop router somehow, and remove your old router.
Badge +2
I settled for putting the Velop network in bridge mode so that the wireless controller is now on my 192.168.128.0 network along with all of my Sonos players. This works well, but I'm a little unhappy about losing some of the features on Velop that are not available when using the bridge mode.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
yeah, the features that falls out are the ones that relies on the routing part of the Velop. Not sure how you have connected it to your current router, but it needs to "replace" your current router and I'm uncertain how the Velop is supposed to route your wired devices. It does have two RJ45 jacks but they aren't labeled in any way.

Linksys support might be able to give you the right answers, it seems like the additional port allows you to wire a switch to the primary node, but it's uncertain how the Velop identify which port is WAN and which one is LAN.

See this support answer for more details: https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/How-to-connect-8-port-switch-to-Velop-that-s-wired-for-backhaul/td-p/1191627

The benefit of this would also be that all the Velop features would be available for your wired devices as well.