Answered

Advice needed: Speakers show as disconnected yet sometimes play. Speaker issues after new router

• 25 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks for reading.

I have a Sonos set-up in my house for about the past 4 years with no major issues after I figured out the initial stuff (with help from here).  My IP provider had to switch out our router in December.  Same service but new router.  I believe my problems started there.

I have about 20 speakers in my set-up.  Some would show as available and others would not.   I think I’d have it figured it out only for them to all crash again.  Overall, about 8 speakers would show as not connected and the rabbit hole of using the Sonos “bring speakers back online” approach did nothing.  Endless loop. 

This weekend I decided to completely remove all the assigned IP addresses, unplug every device again, reboot the router, and plug each device in one by one.  I also re-assigned the fixed IP addresses and confirmed no duplicates or any issues there.   I still had some stray speakers that would not connect so I re-set them back to default and added them back in. 

That seemed to solve the problem until this morning when two of the speakers again said not connected. 

One of the speakers was joined as a stereo pair in a room. I unplugged both speakers and plugged them back in. Still showed as not connected.   I decided to play music to see which one had no sound.  Then they both played music and both showed as connected.   About 5 minutes later after I cut off the music, the same speaker was back to showing as disconnected.

If I look at my system on the iPhone app (speaker/playing view), I see the app refreshing and moving up and down.  The one speaker I’m talking about keeps going back and forth to showing connected and disconnected even while typing this.  

For the 2nd speaker that went offline, a re-boot seemed to have brought that one back again.  But even while typing this, I had to go re-boot it just now again.  

I’m stumped what I’m missing or if I should try a different approach.  For now, the entire system seems to be back up except these two speakers showing some odd behavior.  

Also, for detail, I have many of the speakers connected by ethernet but not all of them due to limitations.   These two speakers I’m having issues with are both not connected by ethernet.  

In the time it’s taken me to type this note, this one speaker has changed about 5 times to showing as not connected, then back.  Any advice?   Thank you.

As an update, I decided to reset this one troublesome speaker back to factory and re-create it. In the process, I’ve noticed that just about every time I re-start my router, the entire Sonos system will show “not connected” in my system.  Not all of the speakers but about 15 of them. Then, if I re-start my iPhone app repeatedly, it eventually seems to re-connect most speakers.  

If I use my Mac OS version of the Controller, I think the status shows different.  

I’m stumped and a bit frustrated with it at this point.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 27 February 2023, 13:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @TheRamblinMan,

It’s possible that since you’ve received the new router, those two speakers that you’re having trouble with are still trying to connect to the old router credentials. Even though the router has been swapped, old credentials can linger in the system, and this might explain why some wireless units are having issues while the wired units aren’t.

Would you be able to check and remove the old network details if they are still showing in the app? You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Tap Network > Networks.
  4. Tap on the network you want to remove.
  5. Tap Remove.

If you don’t see the old network credentials or you remove them and the issue is still present, please submit a diagnostics and reply here with the confirmation number so I can take a look into what may be causing this.

Regarding the overall connection time after you reboot your router, you’ll generally want to wait a few minutes before everything shows online as you shouldn’t have to restart your iPhone. While your router is booting up, there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes. Depending on how many devices you have in your home that connect to your Wi-Fi, this can slow down how quickly each Wi-Fi device reconnects.

I’d suggest giving the system five minutes after rebooting, while checking the LED light status on your speakers. The LED flashes white while booting up and while connecting to a network, then turns solid white when it’s finished.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @TheRamblinMan,

It’s possible that since you’ve received the new router, those two speakers that you’re having trouble with are still trying to connect to the old router credentials. Even though the router has been swapped, old credentials can linger in the system, and this might explain why some wireless units are having issues while the wired units aren’t.

Would you be able to check and remove the old network details if they are still showing in the app? You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Tap Network > Networks.
  4. Tap on the network you want to remove.
  5. Tap Remove.

If you don’t see the old network credentials or you remove them and the issue is still present, please submit a diagnostics and reply here with the confirmation number so I can take a look into what may be causing this.

Regarding the overall connection time after you reboot your router, you’ll generally want to wait a few minutes before everything shows online as you shouldn’t have to restart your iPhone. While your router is booting up, there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes. Depending on how many devices you have in your home that connect to your Wi-Fi, this can slow down how quickly each Wi-Fi device reconnects.

I’d suggest giving the system five minutes after rebooting, while checking the LED light status on your speakers. The LED flashes white while booting up and while connecting to a network, then turns solid white when it’s finished.

I hope this information helps!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for all the info.

Appreciate the idea but I had removed the old network.  I’ve also made other tweaks suggested by folks in the forums (I can detail them if you like), the system works for a bit, then a couple of speakers will say disconnected, sometimes the entire thing, and then it may re-connect later.

I’ve noticed sometimes it will say the speaker that is actually still playing has disconnected.  I can’t control or see it but it will disconnect even though music was playing at the time. Mostly though it’s just stuff not connected when I go to play. 

Everything had been working for about 2 days then 2 speakers showed disconnected, then the entire system.  I grabbed two codes.  The first when a couple of speakers were disconnected---93242530.  One of the codes I grabbed when the entire thing showed disconnected, although one speaker was playing music at the time.  That code was 145080913.  Thank you.

What model router are you using. Are any SONOS units wired to the network? If so, are there any network switches? Model numbers?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

What model router are you using. Are any SONOS units wired to the network? If so, are there any network switches? Model numbers?

The router came to us straight from the internet provider.  Sp-N66 is what it says.

Multiple products wired to the network.  Others are wireless.  Ubiquity network switch.   US-24-250W

thank you

Check that units are on SonosNet. Go to Settings → System → About My System. WM: 0 indicates a unit that is using SonosNet (wired or wireless). WM: 1 are units using WiFi. In your configuration only ROAM or MOVE (if any) should be WM:1.

If you haven’t already, enable IGMP in the switch. Wire SONOS units to the switch, not the gateway.

Here’s what worked for me. Deleted the Sonos app off my iPhone and reinstalled it. Reset the speakers to factory settings then connected them to the app again. Took me five minutes after two hours of frustration. Worked perfectly.