Answered

Admin Controls

• 24 April 2019
  • 6 replies

I have Sonos in my office of 100+ employees. We run different music on different zones (we have 7 zones) however employees have access too so they can control music in their zones. The issues we always run into is employees selecting other zones accidentally (or purposely) and changing the music. Why hasn't Sonos come out with administrator privileges to prevent this from happening?
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 April 2019, 18:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Because Sonos is a wireless home sound system, where such administrator type controls are much less necessary and useful. Nothing wrong with using Sonos in a business location where it was not designed to be used, but not surprising when features don't exactly match your needs.
Break the system up into multiple systems ('households'), one per employee zone. Dedicate controllers to each zone.

You'd no longer be able to group players in one zone with those in another, but it would avoid accidental changes to the players in the wrong zone.

There could still be malicious tampering by the very determined, but an employee would have to physically visit another zone to push buttons on a player there in order to register their controller.
Thanks Danny. I realize it's a home system. How about I present to you me having a party in my HOME where some people have the wifi and those people are selecting and playing songs in the same fashion as the situation presented above but in my HOME.
How about I present to you me having a party in my HOME where some people have the wifi and those people are selecting and playing songs in the same fashion as the situation presented above but in my HOME.
Don't let people you don't trust use your main WiFi. Put them on a Guest WiFi instead.
That’s why most routers provide a “guest” network, so you can separate things that are essential to you, such as Sonos, NAS with financial data, etc, from people who need internet access only.
Thanks Danny. I realize it's a home system. How about I present to you me having a party in my HOME where some people have the wifi and those people are selecting and playing songs in the same fashion as the situation presented above but in my HOME.

You should have gone with the misbehaving teenagers argument. It makes sense that you'd want the parents to be able to control all the speakers in the house, but teenagers only control the speakers in their rooms. My guess would be that such a feature hasn't been requested enough to warrant development. It also gets further complicated when you add in voice control features.