Adding a Boost to system, should I unplug ethernet from all my speakers to avoid problems?

• 17 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I’ve got several Sonos speakers through the house and the Sonosnet ones are struggling with lossless multiroom, so I’m buying a Boost to help solve that. 

I’ve got 3 wifi only speakers, 5 on Sonosnet and an Arc SL that’s hard wired to ethernet currently.

I’m on a Unifi network.

Should I unplug the Arc SL and only have the Boost connected to the Unifi network via Ethernet to avoid network problems?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi. A Boost is very unlikely to help at all in this situation.

Before we go any further, please confirm whether the settings in the wired speakers are set to Enable WiFi or Disable WiFi.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Unless you have an extremely large home adding a Boost may not improve things. Tell us more about your network as it sounds like interference may be the issue.

You could instead run a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the occurrence and post the reference ID here. Then call Sonos tech support to see what they uncovered in the diagnostic.

We’re here to help if you decide to submit more information on your network.

Edit: @John B types faster than me :)

I’ve just connected my first Boost to a wifi router that struggled with 5 Play:1’s I’ve got dotted around the house. The best result I had before using the boost was to have one of the Play:1 speakers connected via ethernet to that router but even then, occasionally, I’d get buffering and dropouts from the playback if my neighbour’s wifi was on. Enough to stop using Sonos for a while. Right now, no drops outs or signal issues using the boost. Then again my neighbour’s not in. So I’m still trying it out.

I think the idea is that you can have all your speakers wirelessly and have the boost do the heavy lifting by creating a dedicated wifi for all the speakers. If your space is very big or on multiple levels you probably need more than one boost. Mileage probably varies.

If it helps: before anything I basically ran an initial app update on the Sonos app which then checked if my other speakers needed any updates. After that I unplugged every Sonos speaker and quit the Sonos app/rebooted my phone. Then I connected the boost via ethernet to the router and plugged it in. A green light came on. The Sonos app spluttered something about not finding my devices, so I switched everything back on and waited. It detected that the speaker that was on ethernet was not on the wifi network and I followed some steps to sort that out. Then I went on to add a new device, the Boost, and the Sonos app worked its way through that.

At first there were some buffering problems for the first 10 minutes. But now they seem to have disappeared. On a second reboot/restart, no issues so far. Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. A Boost is very unlikely to help at all in this situation.

Before we go any further, please confirm whether the settings in the wired speakers are set to Enable WiFi or Disable WiFi.

The wired speaker is the Arc and it’s enabled

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m starting to think so of the problems I was having were quirks of the interplay between Roon and Sonos, doing more tests purely in Sonos app and she’s all good

Userlevel 1
Badge

For reference: 

I think I misinterpreted your situation initially. There is no problem in leaving the Arc wired. If the Boost is close to the Arc it is unlikely to help.