Answered

Add Play5 to Stereo Pair of Sonos One

• 28 October 2018
  • 10 replies

Hi,
I have a pair of Sonos One with Sub.
I want to add an additional Play5 to this „room“.
Is it possible?
I know how to group them, but that does not help when I use Apple Music App (because there is no group for Airplay) and i have to choose both speakers every time I play music with this app.
Another problem with the group is, that the volume button on the devices will not control the whole group.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 October 2018, 17:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you can not pair Play:5 with the Sonos Ones. You have to group by selecting both in apple music or use sonos app for grouping.

If you group them in Sonos app - playing to one of them in Apple Music should still play to all.
Thank you for your answer!

Do the speaker stay in that group or do I have
to built the group everytime I open the App?
So are the groups permanently?
Thank you for your answer!

Do the speaker stay in that group or do I have
to built the group everytime I open the App?
So are the groups permanently?

Semi-permanent. They will survive opening/closing of the app. They will not survive powering the unit on/off, or the reboot done during a firmware update.
Thanks!
...and is it possible to adjust the volume of a group via button on one of the speakers of the group?
Thanks!
...and is it possible to adjust the volume of a group via button on one of the speakers of the group?

When you tap the volume button on an ungrouped room, you get the left image, tap on a grouped room, you get the right:

As you can see, the grouped room has both a group and individual volume controls.
I meant the hardware button on the device of a grouped speaker.
I meant the hardware button on the device of a grouped speaker.

The hardware button on the Sonos unit will only control that unit. The hardware button on the mobile controller will control the group volume.
Thanks!
...But suboptimal...
Thanks!
...But suboptimal...

This is a "damned if you do" and "damned if you don't" situation. If I have my office paired with the kitchen and someone in the kitchen adjusts their Volume with the hardware button, I would not enjoy having the Volume in the office change too. Likewise, if I get a phone call and adjust or Mute the office, kitchen listeners would not appreciate Volume tracking.

In your case, where the Group is covering one large area, Volume tracking could be handy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
One more thing for Sonos to throw into the suggestions box, I normally like things the way they are but having the volume do the group would be nice at times.