Add my PC as a Zone Player

Userlevel 2
I'd like to add my PC (WMP) as a zone player so I can "Link Zone" with my PC and have that play what's playing on the other controllers.

Does anybody have any idea if this has already been done, or if there are resources that would allow me to do it?

🆒

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I'd like to add my PC (WMP) as a zone player so I can "Link Zone" with my PC and have that play what's playing on the other controllers.

Does anybody have any idea if this has already been done, or if there are resources that would allow me to do it?

🆒

Attach the line out on your soundcard to the line in on a ZP90, attach the line out on the ZP to the line in on the soundcard. Instant PC zone!

Not what you wanted to hear, but that's the only way to do it. ZonePlayers are able to sync music with all other ZP's because they have specialized hardware. A PC's soundcard is not up to the task, plus supporting the myriad of soundcard/PC combinations out there would be a nightmare. Just not possible, and even if it was, it wouldn't be supportable.
Userlevel 2
Attach the line out on your soundcard to the line in on a ZP90, attach the line out on the ZP to the line in on the soundcard. Instant PC zone!

Not what you wanted to hear, but that's the only way to do it. ZonePlayers are able to sync music with all other ZP's because they have specialized hardware. A PC's soundcard is not up to the task, plus supporting the myriad of soundcard/PC combinations out there would be a nightmare. Just not possible, and even if it was, it wouldn't be supportable.

I would really love it if someone could expand on this.

I have a pc which is hooked up to an AV receiver via optical. so my question is how do i add this to the system.

My soundcard has the normal multi colour audio connections and optical in and out.

what cables do i need to wire the zp90 in.

looking forward to someone explaining this to me.

many thanks

dansiop
I would really love it if someone could expand on this.

I have a pc which is hooked up to an AV receiver via optical. so my question is how do i add this to the system.

My soundcard has the normal multi colour audio connections and optical in and out.

what cables do i need to wire the zp90 in.

looking forward to someone explaining this to me.

many thanks

dansiop

Most line in on sound cards are 3.5mm stereo mini-plugs. So you need a stereo RCA to mini-plug (male) cable.
Userlevel 1
Sorry, but wrong on all accounts. The sound card manufactures provide drivers for Windows/OSX so that the music programs don't have to know (or care) what kind of sound card there is. Secondly, a PC and its sound card are totally up to task. My PC can stream Pandora and watch a video and surf the net and talk on Skype all simultaneously without a hiccup. So yes, its entirely possible. I suspect Sonos won't ever support it though as it would cut into the sale of their zone players.

musichack,

First post. Welcome to the forums.

There is a giant, sometimes heated thread that discusses this possibility.

The SONOS control protocol is open for all to work with. So far no one has demonstrated the ability to synchronize zones with a PC. And, by synchronize, I mean that SONOS ZonePlayer synchronization is solid enough that SONOS can logically bond two S5's and create a stereo pair. With SONOS technology this is more or less a cheap trick.

I'm not sure that the argument of "cutting into sales" holds. There was a similar argument prior to the introduction of the iTouch/iPhone/iPad controller. Before the SONOS supplied application there was another application being sold in the iTunes store. Pundants were shouting "no way" will SONOS introduce their own iControler. If anything, the iController has accelerated sales.
Sorry, but wrong on all accounts. The sound card manufactures provide drivers for Windows/OSX so that the music programs don't have to know (or care) what kind of sound card there is. Secondly, a PC and its sound card are totally up to task. My PC can stream Pandora and watch a video and surf the net and talk on Skype all simultaneously without a hiccup. So yes, its entirely possible. I suspect Sonos won't ever support it though as it would cut into the sale of their zone players.

There is a world of difference between a "music player" and a multi-room, pefectly sync'd wireless music system. Don't believe me? Try starting two songs at exactly the same time from two different PC's. Use any "music player" you wish. Now see how long it takes for them to get out of sync (hint: It isn't that long). Sorry, but the timing inherent in sound cards is most certainly not "up to the task."
Userlevel 1
Yes, since my post I have discovered those other threads. And I'll definitely retract my statement about it being 'not that hard'. But I'll still play ignorant and say that its not impossible.

Buzz...you say that the Sonos protocol is open for all to use...just curious where is the protocol standard published?

On an interesting (to me) sidenote, I successfully setup an Icecast server on my machine, then used Simplecast (trial version) to stream my PCs microphone to the Icecast server. Then I "tuned" the Sonos to my local (intranet only) internet radio channel. The delay from mic to speakers was a 'mere' 7 seconds. I tuned the Windows media player into the same channel and its delay was about 8 secs - only 1 sec difference...isn't that synced enough for you guys...jeeze 🙂
musichack,

The protocol is not documented in the traditional sense of locating a printed or online all inclusive document. This particular technology is self documenting -- for those who understand it. One simply issues a standard call and the units will respond with the methods that they support.

In some applications the one second delay that you experienced may not be a big deal, but if one attempts to use players in the same room that are offset by one second, the results are not so great. It is the nature of the PC that, even if you accurately measured the delay (using an external device, this cannot be accurately done on the PC) and added this to the faster program, you will discover that the delay is not constant.

Try jgatie's demo. Synchronize two PC's or actual CD players and listen to the synchronization drift. This is a distressingly short demo. Typically, by the end of the first track you will be aware of the issue.

It's not hard to fix the fundamental timing issue, but it requires a bit of hardware. One could add a card or modify the underlying PC platform. Unfortunately this violates the "software only" requirement or creates a machine that is no longer compatible with the hundreds of millions of existing PC's.

SONOS synchronization is so flawless that one comes away with the (incorrect) assumption that it is easy technology. Once you deal with the underlying PC issue, you must deal with varying network delays and interruptions.
Userlevel 1
I've been going under the assumption that the PC would be the source for the audio and the syncing (e.g. if watching a movie on my PC then have the audio come out the Sonos).

So....I just plugged in my 1st S5 Zone Player into the line-out of my PC and much to my pleasant surprise, I was able to able to link my 2nd S5 to the stream...I had no idea that the Line-in on the S5 could be sent to other ZonePlayers. Then I was able to set them up as a stereo pair. Ok now I admit that is soooo cool. Personally for me that is a perfectly workable solution. Problem solved. Sonos does it again!
Wouldn't there be a way to simply use the Sonos Desktop app and just play the same source through the PC that is playing on the other speakers?
No. Sonos desktop application is a controller for Sonos, it is not a streamer for your PC. The Sonos devices themselves do all the streaming. I suppose if you had excellent timing and were able to kick off the audio on a sonos speaker at the same time you kicked off audio on some other PC application, then it would work. But that is highly unlikely and not at all reliable.