Several folks have noticed that their Samba server stopped serving files to their Sonos v1 Music Library after upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04. After a whole lot of tinkering I found a fix:
add “unix extensions = no” to the global section in the smb.conf file. That’s needed in addition to enabling SMB or NTLM v1 protocol, something that’s been necessary for a couple of years now.
I have a couple of links with more info and will post them as a reply.
I wrote up my notes on this problem on my blog. There’s a lot more detail there.
There’s some discussion of this problem on the Samba mailing list.
There’s also a possible alternative for Samba; Adobe has a Node version of an SMB server that’s up on Github and seems compatible with Sonos v1 systems. Lots of notes about this sonossmb solution here.
Thanks Nelson for debugging this issue together with me, let’s play some music!