Answered

2 Sonos systems on one Sonos Account

• 2 September 2021
  • 3 replies

I currently have two Sonos 1 speakers in our backyard, one on the deck, one on the patio (fully covered) that play together after they were linked in the Amazon Alexa App to play the same music rather than creating a stereo pair within the Sonos app.  This works flawlessly.

We are in the process of finishing our basement where we intend to have a sonos amp power the left and right rear in ceiling architectural speakers and utilize a sonos arc as a front left, center, front right and a sonos Sub.

Is it possible to run this surround sound system in the basement separate from the two speakers in the backyard, utilizing the same network and same sonos account (i.e. can i create a separate system for this area).

I’m assuming that the sub and arc will need to be paired through the network to the amp.  Really just trying to prepare or adjust my plan depending on what is actually possible.  Ultimately, if I’m in the backyard, I want to be able to ask Alexa to play music and if I turn the TV on in the basement, I would like the system to automatically start playing whatever media is on the screen, potentially when the speakers in the backyard are being played.

Best!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 September 2021, 21:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Why bother to set them up separately? Why not have them all be part of the same system? They’re different rooms, you’d control them using the Sonos controller as normal, just picking which “room “ you’re sending a command to….or the same, using voice.

For what it’s worth, I have two “Arc” rooms, and seven or eight other rooms with standard speakers, all reachable in one controller on one Sonos “Account”. No need to disconnect from one “system” to connect to the other in order to tell it to play anything, I just choose the “room” in the controller. With the added benefit that I can, whenever desired/needed, group those rooms all together. 

Why bother to set them up separately? Why not have them all be part of the same system? They’re different rooms, you’d control them using the Sonos controller as normal, just picking which “room “ you’re sending a command to….or the same, using voice.

For what it’s worth, I have two “Arc” rooms, and seven or eight other rooms with standard speakers, all reachable in one controller on one Sonos “Account”. No need to disconnect from one “system” to connect to the other in order to tell it to play anything, I just choose the “room” in the controller. With the added benefit that I can, whenever desired/needed, group those rooms all together. 

So I currently have one room setup as “Deck” and another room setup as “Patio” and these are paired through Alexa.  What you’re saying is I’ll have another room setup as “Basement” or whatever where all the speakers will be grouped together (4 in total: Arc, Sub, Amp RL/RR) for the surround, and this could act as a separate entity?

If the surround system is grouped and controlled by the ARC which will be directly connected to the TV, is is safe to assume that once the TV is turned on, the speakers connected to it including over wireless (amp) will also function?  Would like it to be as simple as possible so I don’t have to go through an app on my phone to run the surround system.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying ;)

The ‘surround’ speakers will be part of the home theater room, so when the Arc is working, the surround speakers will be as well. Assuming of course there is information for them. They will be ‘on’, but depending on the signal sent to the Arc to have surround data for them to be playing something.